Any mature conservatory specimens?

Discussions and news related to invasive and exotic species affecting our trees and forests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sradivoy

Any mature conservatory specimens?

Post by sradivoy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:56 am

I was wondering if there are any large glass enclosed botanical conservatories housing and protecting theses vulnerable trees under controlled conditions? I feel like we're playing two dimensional chess while nature is playing three dimensional chess in an increasingly globalized world that is only going to get worse. Its not enough just to protect the surface boundaries of a protected area when there are so many other threats coming from the air. It seems to me that geodesic domes would be the way to go, at least for the time being until a better solution comes along. Many conservatories house exotic species from some far away land rather than protecting their own native species at home. I think that's a mistake, although it makes good business sense in terms of attendance. Most native species are taken for granted by the general public, unfortunately, until it is too late. We could have had fully mature American Chestnuts in some of the older Victorian conservatories by now to be enjoyed and appreciated by the general public. The infrastructure was there, only the foresight was missing. Same can be said for the American Elm. Now is the time to be protecting the various Ashes and Hemlocks within enclosed spaces as a kind of back up plan.

Joe

Re: Any mature conservatory specimens?

Post by Joe » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:43 am

A nation that can't come up with a sensible health system; that can't cut back on CO2 emissions; that continues to blow hundreds of billions each year on the military; that continues to pave over more acres for more strip malls, isn't likely to worry about trees. A few people will think about this but they can't afford to do it.
Joe

Return to “Invasive Species and Tree Diseases”