Why are Ash dying in northeastern NJ

Discussions and news related to invasive and exotic species affecting our trees and forests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

njstriker

Why are Ash dying in northeastern NJ

Post by njstriker » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:31 pm

I am wondering if the Emerald Ash Borer has made it to New Jersey. It seems like everywhere I drive, I see dead and dying Ash trees. I am one of the few people who can ID a tree species just driving by. I am quite sure that they are Ash, probably Green Ash or White Ash.

There one whole cluster in West Caldwell in Essex County, generally along Passaic Ave, especially just south of the Shop Rite on the east side. I saw others on Friday on Ridge Ave in Cedar Grove (also Essex County), generally near the reservoir. And I've seen them in Wayne, which is Passaic County. So what's going on. Is it the Emerald Ash Borer, or is something else killing clusters of Ash in northeastern New Jersey.

edfrank

Re: Why are Ash dying in northeastern NJ

Post by edfrank » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Eric,

The data I have been able find, the emerald ash borer has not yet reached New Jersey, but it is close. Here is an article from June talking about the threat in northern NJ. http://www.northjersey.com/news/1569357 ... asion.html
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Will Blozan

Re: Why are Ash dying in northeastern NJ

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Can you get out of the car and check for exit holes?

I have seen several ash here in NC nearly killed by the banded clear-wing ash borer, which has a similar effect on the tree but is a moth.

Will

Return to “Invasive Species and Tree Diseases”