Invasive species control

Discussions and news related to invasive and exotic species affecting our trees and forests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

bountreehunter

Invasive species control

Post by bountreehunter » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:35 pm

I have a question. What can be done about non native invasive species when one sees them in a confined area but spreading quickley? In Baltimore City there is Wyman Park which sits directly next to the Ever famous Johns Hopkins university. This Park is over run with Paper mulberries and some what confined to a small area in Baltimore which includes this park. when i say over run, i mean it. They have become the dominant tree in this park around stony creek and the problem is only exponential with the shoots that are started by each tree. I have written to the City Arborist twice about this with absolutely no responce at all. So has anyone had any experience with controlly or alerting others in with invasive species. Ailanthus has such a foot hold in the city that controlling has now become futile. Isn't there something that can be done when a non native invasive species is seen.
here is a map of the affected area. I have seen no paper mulberries outside this area. what are your thoughts.

http://www.zeemaps.com/324605

edfrank

Re: Invasive species control

Post by edfrank » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:37 am

Dan,

I am sympathetic with the problem you are seeing with invasive species. I just don't know what to tell you to do. My first idea would be to contact the city arborist, but you have done that already and received no response. Is there any other city agency involved with the park system? Civic groups involved with the parks? You could write a letter to the editor of the newspaper about the problem. I don't know what else to suggest. I would like to hear about what happens if you have any success.

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:52 am

I worked for the National Park Service during the summer of 1999 not far from you in Rock Creek National Park in Washington, D.C. on their non-native invasive species control program. We used a variety of herbicides and mechanical methods to work toward eradicating ailanthus, multiflora rose, asiatic bittersweet, porcelain berry, kudzu, and many other invasives. It seemed like a losing battle.

My personal opinion is these species are here to stay, there's little we can do about it, and we won't know how everything is going to play out for maybe 500 years or more. Throw in some global warming just to make it interesting. Eventually some sort of ecological equilibrium will be established. But we've shuffled the global deck, and there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. To mix metaphors.

That's not to say you shouldn't try to save individual trees and so forth in your particular park. Keep after the city arborists to at least try to tamp down your problem invasives in Baltimore.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 pm

It may be to late to remove them from that particular park, but they might be able to keep them from spreading. I assume the mulberries are dispersed by birds eating the berries. So just mechanically cutting them down every few years before they can fruit would help.

Return to “Invasive Species and Tree Diseases”