Raccoons

Discussions and news related to invasive and exotic species affecting our trees and forests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jamesrobertsmith

Raccoons

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm

We here in the USA tend to think only in terms of the invasive species that plague us. But a lot of our own animals have been transported to other realms where they are causing a lot of problems. I think I linked to the problems of the gray squirrels in the UK competing the native squirrel there into near-extinction. Well, Europe is having problems with another of our native mammal, the raccoon:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/english/ ... peng_1/Ten

And apparently Argentina and Chile are having fits with the North American beaver which was intentionally introduced there for fur, but which now is causing much damage.

KoutaR

Re: Raccoons

Post by KoutaR » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:04 am

The North American beaver is also introduced to Finland and Russia, where it has invaded living space from the European beaver.

Kouta

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Kouta,

How are the two species of beaver different?
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

KoutaR

Post by KoutaR » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:20 pm

James,

They are so similar that I probably could not identify them apart. I have read that the best mark ist tail: the Americans have wider tail. Ecologically, the most important thing is that the American beaver is bigger and stronger competitor, thus capable to displace the Europeans. In Finland the Americans were introduced after the original beaver population had been hunted to local extinction. Beavers were then re-introduced from Norway and Canada, because it was thought they are of the same species. But they are not, do not interbreed, and now the Europeans are much rarer in Finland. I do not know what is the situation in Russia. Fortunately, there are not American beavers in other European countries.

Kouta

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Similarly in Norway the Mink was brought from North America to raise for fur, they escaped and are now a problem invasive. I saw two mink dumpster diving in a fishing village in southern Norway, I was really confused at first as to what kind of animal I was looking at, not the expected behavior for a mink.
-Andrew

KoutaR

Post by KoutaR » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:27 am

yes, the American mink is also a great problem in Europe. There are strong mink populations in most of the European countries and additionally thousends of them are released annually from farms by animal rights activists. Most of them dies but some survive.

Kouta

Return to “Invasive Species and Tree Diseases”