We are Tree Hunters

The Eastern Native Tree Society is a chapter of the NTS focusing on the trees and forests of Eastern United States and Canada. This forum is for discussions of the ENTS chapter itself including meetings, events, and operations.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Re: We are Tree Hunters

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:22 pm

edfrank wrote:ENTS,

I am trying to come up with a new mission statement (unofficially) that both expresses our passion for hunting trees and also focuses on the measurement and documentation mission. This is just playing around with words at this point. So I want to encourage all of you to take a shot at it also and post your ideas here. The existing mission statement or vision reads as follows:
The Eastern Native Tree Society (ENTS) is a cyberspace interest group devoted to the documentation and celebration of trees and forests of the eastern North America and around the world, through art, poetry, music, mythology, science, medicine, wood crafts, and collecting research data for a variety of purposes. ENTS is the premiere tree measuring group of the eastern forest. ENTS is a discussion forum for people who view trees and forests not just as a crop to be harvested, but also as something of value in their own right. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in trees living anywhere in the world.
My first rough cut trying to incorporate the tree hunter idea is as follows:
The Eastern Native Tree Society (ENTS) is a cyberspace based organization of Tree Hunters. Our core focus and passion is to find and document exceptional trees and forests wherever they might exist. We have developed new techniques to accurately measure and to better describe and document these exceptional trees and forests and are constantly working to improve these methodologies. We also recognize and celebrate the complex artistic, emotional, psychological, and spiritual relationships that have long existed between humanity and the forest and these more elusive aspects are being explored by our membership as well.

(This last is more of a closing invitation rather than part of the basic statement itself)

ENTS is a discussion forum for people who view trees and forests not just as a crop to be harvested, but also as something of value in their own right. Even today we are finding the largest and oldest trees ever recorded for some native species. we are finding hidden pockets of old growth forest and examples of unusual forest ecosystems. If you want to become part of this adventure, membership is open to anyone with an interest in trees living anywhere in the world.
This is too long and wordy, but it might serve as a jumping off point for something better. lets play with this idea.

Ed
Ed/All,

This is a great conversation that was going on a few years ago. I can see that some of the ideas were incorporated into the current mission statement.

How do you feel about the term "cyberspace interest group?" To me, the word cyberspace feels dated. Maybe just leave it out and start the first sentence with "The Native Tree Society (NTS) is devoted to the documentation and celebration..." I think that the online presence of NTS serves as a very convenient communication method, but it isn't the defining factor of who we are. What do you think?

Matt

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Matt,

I am not opposed to the idea of changing the blurb. The Eastern Native Tree society when it formed in 1996 was originally conceived as an internet organization and teh terminology has been carried through. Perhaps it is time to update it. Bob Leverett wrote:

We didn't want to have to acquire assets, worry over schedules, newsletters, and a fiddle with a lot of administrative details that would detract from the mission. Creating ENTS primarily as an internet based -organization seemed to be the answer. Matt agreed to put together our website. The University of Arkansas would be the host. http://www.nativetreesociety.org/entstr ... istory.htm

For awhile there I was pushing for a more structured organization and was thinking about the requirements to gain an official non-profit status, but I am not convinced anymore that that was the right course of action. The informality has served us well, and without the headaches of a formal organization. The group is primarily self-funded by the active members. If we would become involved with a larger research project we could potentially get funding indirectly through another non-profit partner in the project.

This was the initial stage of my writing the "We are Tree Hunters" page on the website itself.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:02 pm

edfrank wrote:Matt,

I am not opposed to the idea of changing the blurb. The Eastern Native Tree society when it formed in 1996 was originally conceived as an internet organization and teh terminology has been carried through. Perhaps it is time to update it. Bob Leverett wrote:

We didn't want to have to acquire assets, worry over schedules, newsletters, and a fiddle with a lot of administrative details that would detract from the mission. Creating ENTS primarily as an internet based -organization seemed to be the answer. Matt agreed to put together our website. The University of Arkansas would be the host. http://www.nativetreesociety.org/entstr ... istory.htm

For awhile there I was pushing for a more structured organization and was thinking about the requirements to gain an official non-profit status, but I am not convinced anymore that that was the right course of action. The informality has served us well, and without the headaches of a formal organization. The group is primarily self-funded by the active members. If we would become involved with a larger research project we could potentially get funding indirectly through another non-profit partner in the project.

This was the initial stage of my writing the "We are Tree Hunters" page on the website itself.

Ed
Ed,

For me, it's just the word "cyberspace" that feels outdated. When we link to the forum through Facebook, I noticed that the first thing people see is the "cyberspace" reference. Maybe there is a good synonym to use if the internet reference needs to be included at the very beginning.

Matt

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:50 pm

It seems to me that "online interest group" would be more aligned with current web terminology. I'll admit that as someone who entered the internet in the mid-2000s the word "cyberspace" immediately jumped out at me when I first visited the website. I'm not sure it's still in the lexicon of those entering the internet now.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:12 pm

The real question here is should we specify online as in online interest group or should it just be interest group? Everybody is online now and we do have get-togethers even if we don't have a brick and mortar home office.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Don

Post by Don » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:33 am

Sometimes I think we are so driven, so in pursuit, that we can miss much of what goes on around us. Who among us has let those pursuits drop, and sat in the middle of a woods, recently? For 15 minutes, or more, without moving? Heard the sounds of other forest denizens return, awareness of wind currents, smells, and perhaps even 'presences'?
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:45 am

Ed--
Given that so much of our time is spent outdoors, I don't think we're an "online-" or "cyberspace-" based group. Seems to me that either of those two characterizations of NTS is limiting, and should be omitted.

Also, a description of an organization and a Mission Statement are two separate animals. A mission statement should be a couple of sentences at most, and should describe the group's mission, not its interests or methodologies or expertise. I say, Cut, Cut, Cut! And then use some of what you've cut to craft a description of NTS.

psj
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

Return to “Eastern Native Tree Society”