unique wildlife values of old growth?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Joe

unique wildlife values of old growth?

Post by Joe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:38 am

Just curious, but I started thinking about this--- regarding forests with very large, very tall trees (especially pines)--- there must be some unique wildlife values not seen in forests of smaller, shorter trees.

For example, I'm thinking of the Mohawk Trail State Forest- with pines well over 100'--- I think the tallest is something like 172'. I should think (having only a rudimentary understanding of wildlife)- that such a tall tree presents many niches for birds not found in shorter trees. What other species of wildlife might like very tall, large trees? It was once claimed by forestry folks that old forests were almost biological deserts, which we now know is absurd. There may be fewer browsing species desired by hunters in an old growth forest, but I'm not even sure of that since old forests are likely to be prolific seed/mast producers.

Perhaps this subject has been well researched and is now well understood, but I'm not familiar with such research. Having a good understanding of the unique wildlife values of old growth forests may help in the struggle to protect them.

Joe

Don

Re: unique wildlife values of old growth?

Post by Don » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Joe-
How about:
"Landowner's Guide to Wildlife Habitat: Forest Management for the New England Region"
or it's seminal source,
"New England Wildlife: Habitat, Natural History, and Distribution"?
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Joe

Re: unique wildlife values of old growth?

Post by Joe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:26 am

Don, I'll look for those items.

thanks,
Joe

Return to “Canopy Research”