Free public lecture by Canopy Meg 4/14/2012

NTS events suggested or planned for 2012

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pdbrandt

Free public lecture by Canopy Meg 4/14/2012

Post by pdbrandt » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi NTS,

Dr. Meg Lowman, better known as Canopy Meg, will give the keynote address at a "citizen science" event open to the public on Saturday, April 14th, 2012 in Raleigh, NC. Her title is Out on a Limb: Using Research Discoveries as a "Hook" to Inspire the Public about Science

Here's the description of her talk available at http://www.pams.ncsu.edu/weekend/
Margaret D. Lowman (a.k.a. "Canopy Meg") will present this year's Scope Lecture. Affectionately known as the mother of canopy research for her 30 years of dedication to the science, Lowman has designed hot-air balloons and walkways for treetop exploration to solve mysteries in the world's forests, with special expertise on the links between insect pests and ecosystem health. Lowman is the director of the Nature Research Center at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and a research professor of natural sciences in PAMS, where she focuses on initiatives involving science communication to the public.

I'll be there with my daughter, who loves to climb trees. Let us know if you're planning to be there, too.
Patrick

edfrank

Re: Free public lecture by Canopy Meg 4/14/2012

Post by edfrank » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Patrick,

Thanks for posting this. She is someone I really would like to meet. I have posted about her here on the BBS, follow her blog, and have friended her on Facebook, but have yet to meet her. Unfortunately I will not be able to drive to NC to attend. If anyone is near Raleigh on April 14th, I would encourage them to attend.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Events 2012”