Jack-O-Lantern Fungi

Posts related to fungi and mycology.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Jack-O-Lantern Fungi

Post by edfrank » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Orange fungi growing at the base of a oak stump They have reappeared every year for the last five or six years.
The first photos are from September 5, 2012
DSCN3828s.JPG
DSCN3830s.JPG
DSCN3825s.JPG
DSCN3822s.JPG
Photo of underside of fungi showing lack of rings and orange gills.
DSCN3834s.JPG
Orange fungi growing at the base of a oak stump They have reappeared every year for the last five or six years.
Photo taken September 7, 2012 showing their growth
DSCN3841s.JPG
I checked but this patch of fungi did not glow, but that is not a definitive characteristic of the species.

This appears to be Jack O’lantern (Omphalotus illudens) - Information on Jack O’lantern - Encyclopedia of Life
eol.org http://eol.org/pages/190094/overview

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/omphalotus_illudens.html

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Re: Jack-O-Lantern Fungi

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:41 am

Ed, Good photos of the Fungi. I love the color, the stump is near your place? I've been getting alot of mushrooms growing in my front yard this year we have had lots of rainfall. Larry

edfrank

Re: Jack-O-Lantern Fungi

Post by edfrank » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Three more shots taken today - September 8, 2012. The fungi continue to grow and change into a more vase-shaped cap form.
DSCN3848s.JPG
DSCN3850s.JPG
DSCN3851s.JPG
These are on the edge of my lower yard. The cut-off stump was a white oak that died several years ago. Its twin was blown over in a windstorm this summer. The exposed area at the base is in the pit formed by the upturned root ball of the fallen oak.

Edward Frank

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Fungi and Mycology”