Gaines and Montpelier

Research at the Montpelier - The James Madison Estate in Virginia

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Gaines and Montpelier

Post by dbhguru » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Gaines,
You wrote: Oh, last week when you were at Montpelier, I wanted to come down there and "scare you up." But my wife had another appointment. We are going tomorrow--any advice on where I should go to see the best trees there? Or are they all in one place that I can't miss, so to speak?
For your Montpelier visit, the Landmark Forest Trail Network will keep you busy. It's all good. Beautiful white oaks as well as big tulips. BTW, growing up in the southern Appalachians, the tuliptree was my favorite species. Shhhh, don't tell the white pines I said that.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

gnmcmartin

Re: Back to Mohawk

Post by gnmcmartin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Bob:

Almost didn't get to go to Montpelier today. We are taking care of my wife's parents and we had a bit of an emergency this morning. Got a late start. Anyway, didn't have much time for trees. Got as far as the overlook deck. I measured one tree--just to practice--a bit to the left, where the sightlines were right there. I got about 143 feet.

I took some pics of some of the exotics there, which interest me. I'll post them soon on the landscaping topic.

If we get a chance, we may go back--maybe to help you in the fall--and see more. We would also like to see Poplar Forest. But these days we have a hard time planning much.

--Gaines

dbhguru

Gaines and Montpelier

Post by dbhguru » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:42 am

Gaines,

Somehow I missed your post on Montpelier. Glad you made it. The 143-footer is the tip of the iceberg and do you know that the groups studying downed trees there, dating them, has only reached 135 feet on a downed tree. The leader is a retired forester who is both personable and knowledgeable, but way behind the times when it comes to measuring trees. I don't think he believes there are 150 and 160-footers in Montpelier. However, there are many 150s and between 6 and 10 160-footers. One thing is for certain, if we want the big tree-tall tree story of Montpelier told, we in ENTS will have to do it. That's not news though. I'm not complaining, though. It's what we do.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

gnmcmartin

Re: Gaines and Montpelier

Post by gnmcmartin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Bob:

Yes, I saw your report. Did you say there was a 168 footer? Being new at the measuring business, I like to take out my equipment and have a go when I can--which is not often enough--for practice. My wife and I were standing on the platform and she suggested I measure a tree. I said, "no, we don't have time." But then I looked up and right from where I was standing I could swear I was looking at the highest tip of a tree right there. And I also had a good view of the base from the same spot. But this measuring business is work, and much of it is tramping around to get good angles for a search of the crown for the right twig to focus on. And I am not comfortable unless I do that from more than one side for each tree. And the taller the trees are, the longer and further one has to walk/search.

And in your Montpelier report before, you mentioned that tuliptree shatters when it falls. Yes, more than any other tree I know off. I have logged 100 plus footers, and the entire crown above the main trunk is often in pieces. I like do do some measurements of trees I fell, but with my tuliptrees, forget it! There is no way to get good measurements of tuliptrees on the ground.

--Gaines

dbhguru

Re: Gaines and Montpelier

Post by dbhguru » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Gaines,

The 167.1-footer is not near the platform. It's exact location is not in an easily recognized location. From the platform, I confirmed six 150-footers. I also got a N. red oak farther up trail to slightly over 147. Previously, Will got one to 149. I was amazed. Still am.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “Montpelier Estate, VA”