Why Aren't Women More Active in ENTS?

Information about the Native Tree Society organization itself http://www.nativetreesociety.org including meetings, events, and operations.
edfrank

Re: Why Aren't Women More Active in ENTS?

Post by edfrank » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Nick

I wish I knew why and what to do to increase participation among the women out there interested in trees. The most frequent female poster on the board is Jennifer Dudley, and she ranks 13th among the number of posts. Beth Koebel at 23 is the only other to make the top 25.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Megan Ulrich

Post by Megan Ulrich » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:22 pm

Hello;

I just joined ENTS today. I stumbled across this site on accident looking up MN Elms on Google. I had no previous knowledge of it.

I'm not really one to share via such a website, but I felt compelled to do so today. I am very passionate about Nature, native plants and ecosystems, having grown up in the Native Elm forest of Kandiyohi. Perhaps if more women knew about your site and had the time to post you would have more female involvement. I look forward to learning more about how to preserve what little native habitat we have left. I am extremely passionate about the environment and it is due to the extreme fortune of growing up where I did.

Many people today are out of touch with nature. I think we can do a great service to our communities by encouraging folks to explore the natural areas where they live in order to understand ecology and just plain appreciate nature. Some folks don't have access to 'wild places' or experience with the outdoor lifestyle. They are afraid of nature and intimidated (speaking from experience in Environmental Education). In today's society we are just spread too thin-so many distractions, mis-placed priorities and commitments, that we are missing out on the enjoyment and purpose of life. Nature can recconect us to the Earth, each other and our true selves!

Glad I got that out of my system... I look forward to discussions that lead to action in preserving and sharing our knowledge.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 pm

Megan,

Welcome aboard. We look forward to your participation. You are among friends.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Canada Ginkgo

Post by Canada Ginkgo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 am

Hey everyone!
I'm brand new to ENTS but I can say (as a woman) that your site is not very pretty, (LOL) how bout dressing it up a bit:)

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Canada Ginkgo,

This is out BBS. It's form is dictated by the software that is used to create it. Out website is better, but I am trying to improve the looks and functionality of the website. It was originally designed to serve as an archive of posts and still serves that function for our older posts.

Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Native Tree Society”