Saskatchewan forest fires July 2015

Discussions of forest fires and fire management.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

KoutaR

Re: Saskatchewan forest fires July 2015

Post by KoutaR » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:55 am

Lee Frelich wrote:I am going to Estonia in August.
Lee, do you have a possibility to go to the Järvselja forest? If so, it would be great if you could laser-measure their tallest Pinus sylvestris and Alnus incana, tan-measured to 46.6 m and 31 m; both would be European records, if the heights were correct.

Lee Frelich wrote:... conifer-based successional patterns in the past (i.e. black spruce and jack pine after fir)
I guess you mean black spruce and fir after jack pine?

There is an interactive map of Canadian wildfires:
http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/interactive-map

Click "Active Fires" on the right.

Kouta

Lee Frelich

Re: Saskatchewan forest fires July 2015

Post by Lee Frelich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:52 pm

Kouta,

I will have a couple extra days in Estonia beyond the Iufro conference in Tartu, which is close to Järvselja, so I might be able to measure those trees.

Regarding the statement about 'jack pine and black spruce after fir', its just missing one letter, it should be 'jack pine and black spruce after fire'. What we are starting to see is birch and aspen and sometimes even red maple after fire, especially in a wind-fire combination, replacing the jack pine and black spruce that were there before fire. Of course, in the absence of fire, fir can replace jack pine and black spruce can persist as well, since its an odd species that has mechanisms to reproduce after fire, or in shade without fire.

Lee

Return to “Forest Fires”