eNTS Magazine: July 2011

A monthly magazine featuring posts made to the Native Tree Society BBS for that period.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

eNTS Magazine: July 2011

Post by edfrank » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:04 pm

The July 2011 issue of eNTS Magazine is now available for downloading. It features many articles from the recent WNTS Rendezvous in the Tetons.
july.jpg
july.jpg (35.85 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
http://www.nativetreesociety.org/magazi ... ly2011.pdf
28 MB

The issue may be downloaded as four files, each 40 pages in length:
A http://www.nativetreesociety.org/magazi ... 011_01.pdf
B http://www.nativetreesociety.org/magazi ... 011_02.pdf
C http://www.nativetreesociety.org/magazi ... 011_03.pdf
D http://www.nativetreesociety.org/magazi ... 011_04.pdf
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Re: eNTS Magazine: July 2011

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Ed, just a thought- but is there any chance it could be broken into several files to avoid having to download a 28 MB file all at once?
Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Joe,

As per your suggestion, I have broken the larger file down into 4 segments at a maximum of 40 pages each. I will do this for future large issues as well as they occur.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Ed,

A big thanks from all of us. We're cooking with gas.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:38 am

dbhguru wrote:Ed,

A big thanks from all of us. We're cooking with gas.

Bob
I notice that the eNTS magazine has improved as time goes by. It's now looking like a first class coffee table book! I suggest y'all consider doing just that- producing a coffee table book! I'd love to see it published in a huge volume.
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:06 am

Joe,

This is the first edition of the magazine. Perhaps you are referring to the Bulletin, which is intended for a more scientifically inclined readership. Both publications will move forward. The eNTS Magazine will feature postings that have appeared on the BBS during the month.

I'll be home later today. Maybe we can connect in the next few days and look at the possibility of filming. Might that be possible?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 am

Ed, Great job on the magazine! It is nice to have references to all the articles posted during a given period. The fantastic articles and photos let the reader really see what NTS is all about. Larry

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:13 am

Joe, Larry,

The quality of the issues of the eNTS Magazine and the Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society both reflect the quality of the materials submitted to the editors. Don has a much harder job in looking for articles of scientific merit. The eNTS magazine is a much easier task. It is simply a compilation of usually just the primary posts for a given period. I can pull them directly from the BBS. I will add later posts in the sequence to an issue if they have nice pictures or noteworthy additions to the original. July was a bumper crop of posts, particularly with Bob's accounts of his and Monica's westward adventures. I also managed to solicit the guest editorial included in the July issue from Don Bertolette.

With electronic publishing as a pdf, the issues can vary in length depending on the number and size of posts for a particular month. I will publish both complete issues and copies divided into smaller segments for longer issues in the future. All of the seven issues published so far were compiled in a two week period. I hope to see future issues out within a week or so of the end of the month.

It is my goal for the magazine to make the materials we are producing more easily accessible to interested members of the general public, researchers, political types, and potential members who may feel lost when first confronted with the options and forums on the BBS or even on the website itself. John Davis (TrekEast) commented that he would find this type of format easier for those who do not have the time to check into the BBS on a regular basis.

As it stands there are embedded hyperlinks in each title, photo, and the links included within a post are retained. So if you are connected to the internet just by clicking on a topic you want to see will open the entire thread in your browser. Clicking on an image will open a larger format version of the photo. Clicking on a hyperlink or video will open those sites in the browser and you will be able to watch the videos.

I want to encourage people to submit materials for the Bulletin that are appropriate. The magazine is meant as a companion targeting the more casual reader and supplement to the Bulletin rather than competing with it.

Ed Frank

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:49 am

dbhguru wrote:Joe,

This is the first edition of the magazine. Perhaps you are referring to the Bulletin, which is intended for a more scientifically inclined readership. Both publications will move forward. The eNTS Magazine will feature postings that have appeared on the BBS during the month.

I'll be home later today. Maybe we can connect in the next few days and look at the possibility of filming. Might that be possible?

Bob
Bob, I'm up to trying to film you measuring trees, beginning next week. It would be best to try to do this on a cloudy or overcast day to reduce shadows. Let's keep an eye on the weather. I haven't used the video camera for several months so I'll need to refresh my memory- it's dam complicated! I wish it was user friendly like my new digital camera. If anyone is looking for a really nice, ultra user friendly digital camera- the Samsung WB-210- and the cheapest place to buy it is on eBay at $219- it comes with an 8 gig memory card and a carrying case, it's a 14 meg camera with 12X digital zoom and it can do ultra wide angle, the equivalent of a 21mm on a 35 mm camera- you can get it at http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-WB210-Burgu ... 5127912992

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 am

edfrank wrote:Joe, Larry,

The quality of the issues of the eNTS Magazine and the Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society both reflect the quality of the materials submitted to the editors. Don has a much harder job in looking for articles of scientific merit. The eNTS magazine is a much easier task. It is simply a compilation of usually just the primary posts for a given period. I can pull them directly from the BBS. I will add later posts in the sequence to an issue if they have nice pictures or noteworthy additions to the original. July was a bumper crop of posts, particularly with Bob's accounts of his and Monica's westward adventures. I also managed to solicit the guest editorial included in the July issue from Don Bertolette.

With electronic publishing as a pdf, the issues can vary in length depending on the number and size of posts for a particular month. I will publish both complete issues and copies divided into smaller segments for longer issues in the future. All of the seven issues published so far were compiled in a two week period. I hope to see future issues out within a week or so of the end of the month.

It is my goal for the magazine to make the materials we are producing more easily accessible to interested members of the general public, researchers, political types, and potential members who may feel lost when first confronted with the options and forums on the BBS or even on the website itself. John Davis (TrekEast) commented that he would find this type of format easier for those who do not have the time to check into the BBS on a regular basis.

As it stands there are embedded hyperlinks in each title, photo, and the links included within a post are retained. So if you are connected to the internet just by clicking on a topic you want to see will open the entire thread in your browser. Clicking on an image will open a larger format version of the photo. Clicking on a hyperlink or video will open those sites in the browser and you will be able to watch the videos.

I want to encourage people to submit materials for the Bulletin that are appropriate. The magazine is meant as a companion targeting the more casual reader and supplement to the Bulletin rather than competing with it.

Ed Frank
Good work Ed. Regarding the time to keep up on the BBS, I found a great way- I click on View Unread Posts (and have a link to just that on my desktop)- then I can quickly scan thread titles, after reading what interests me, I go back to Board Index and click on Mark Forums Read. This method makes it very easy to follow the BBS without spending nearly as much time if one just views the entire BBS. I presume most of the active people here do this or something similar.
Joe
PS: maybe one of these days I'll write something for the eNTS Magazine- I would run by y'all some possible themes to see which if any would be of interest

Return to “eNTS Magazine”