Climate Change and Southern New England Forests

Discussion of general forest ecology concepts and of forest management practices.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Joe

Climate Change and Southern New England Forests

Post by Joe » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:06 am

"September 24: Forest Adaptation Planning & Practices

An active, hands-on Forest Adaptation Planning and Practices training will be held on September 24 for a limited number of participants. Natural resource managers will incorporate climate change considerations and identify actions for adaptation into their own real-world forest management projects."

http://www.forestadaptation.org/amherst

wisconsitom

Re: Climate Change and Southern New England Forests

Post by wisconsitom » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Interesting. In this state, where official government policy has been co-opted by friends in high places interested only in short-term solutions, it has increasingly become our various Indian tribes doing the good work. So....the Menominee-perhaps the finest stewards of forest land in the country-are actively investigating species adapted to lands further south as a proactive measure to see what might work in a warming world. Specifically, I've heard they are doing some trials with sycamore, somewhere in the woods. I like that tree just fine, but it is painful to contemplate the possibility of losing the characteristic species that make up the northern hardwood, mixed hardwood/conifer, as well as such long-term seral stages as pinelands, that currently make up the mosaic of woods there. In so many ways in today's Wisconsin, we're having to work in spite of the DNR and other regulatory agencies, not with them. Sad sad sad........and all brought about by dumb people that vote!

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:10 pm

I've heard that some astronauts pointed out that it was easy to see the Menominee land from orbit- since it was a solid block of green surrounded by various cut over lands.
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:31 pm

Tom. Joe,

When Lee Frelich visited the Menominee Reservation years ago, he left giving as much praise as I have ever heard him award. I've heard others say basically the same things, but none seems to know how to get states to implement the regulations that would allow a Menominee type system to work. Tom, I guess you put your finger on it ... too many clueless voters casting their ballots from states of ignorance - profound ignorance.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

wisconsitom

Post by wisconsitom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:43 am

All too true. I'd like to think that the utter bashing this state has been subjected to since Walker and his gang of bullies took over state govt. would have made some impression on this state's voters. And indeed, polls-for whatever they're worth-have shown consistently low approval ratings for this fascist asshole. But like my mother said a few days ago....if elections were held today, I'll bet he'd win again. And I'm telling you, it's bad: I don't at all doubt they've tampered with voting machines. I do realize that makes me look like a conspiracy nut, but if I could take the time to bring you folks along, I'd bet you might agree. This is an extremely troubling bunch, and they are part of a nationwide effort, under the auspices of ALEC-look that one up if you haven't heard-to direct statehouses all over the nation to enact bad legislation. To say they've been successful here would be an understatement.

The big block of mostly forested land which makes up "the northwoods" of N. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, N. Lower Michigan, and N.E. Minnesota collectively comprises the largest forested area in the country. Astronauts in orbit have also commented on this. In fall, it is this region, not the more popular New England, which really jumped out at the astronauts for fall color. But yes, Menominee Reservation is an especially verdant and well-managed county.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:08 am

You need to understand why people vote for the likes of Walker. They're pissed off that they lost their industrial jobs and don't like paying so much for state government. Of course a better solution would be to vote for people like Bernie Sanders - and for national legislation disallowing the export of industrial jobs. I'm a big fan of Michael Moore! To me- exporting those jobs is traitorous. China isn't booming because they're so smart and work so hard- it's because America and Europe and Japan exported their industries for the dirt cheap labor. American history in particular is really nothing more than the history of seeking cheap labor- which is why we had slavery and periodically open the floodgates of immigration, as if it was about helping the world- and now the exportation of jobs. So, the bosses export the jobs- then give themselves fantastic pay raises- thus the vast inequalities of wealth/income in America. I hope Bernie wins and I hope the voters vote in a left leaning Congress but I won't hold my breath.

Here in MA, most state jobs are gotten through nepotism, cronism and patronism. This state government is corrupt to the core- though it does some things well- having been the first state to have a statewide medical insurance system set up by Romney! So, as you suggested once before- when I ranted against the state- that I should have applied for one of those juicy overpaid jobs- I had a chance once but I walked away since I wouldn't work for such a mediocre enterprise despite the pay- the same reason I never high graded a forest just to make more money. In fact, in forestry, it's easy to make a lot of money by doing things wrong. It's like stealing candy from a baby since nobody knows or cares. There are countless ways to rip off forest owners.
Joe

wisconsitom

Post by wisconsitom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 am

Indeed Joe, I'm a political junky too. I could discuss at length various aspects of some of what you just wrote, but I do not wish to drag things too far in that direction, which may strike some as laughable considering it is I who opened that door in the first place! Instead, I will just say, I too am a Sanders supporter, I too hope he wins, and I too see the history of this country primarily as one of exploitation and opportunism, with a bit of good governance sprinkled in! I happen to believe whoever said something to the effect that "representative democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others"! But we have had our system truly co-opted by interests having nothing whatever to do with said governance. These interests are corporate in nature, multinational in scope, and beholden to no one save for the board of directors, the all-important stockholders, and whoever else is secretly benefiting from this arrangement.

Wisconsin is a land of water. We've got more lakes than Minnesota, the so-called Land of Ten Thousand Lakes, we've got waterways and rivers and wetlands everywhere....but a number of active conservation groups are working to get the EPA to override our current do-nothing DNR to attend to the rapidly escalating water issues. That's how bad it has gotten. But I wouldn't characterize our former govt. as being anything like this. we were leaders in numerous areas of environmental protection, as well as numerous other areas, and this is all being torn down. Our DNR has become a combatant-on the wrong side-since Walker took over. His selection for Secretary of that department? A real estate developer! Who else? This woman openly mocks concern for endangered species, is openly contemptuous of her own workers, and is a haughty, cynical bitch who has no interest whatever in natural resources, excepting for where they can be exploited.

Some time I'll tell you how I really feel!

Oh, and if Hillary is the Democratic pick, it will be important to support her as well. Even though I have reservations about many aspects of her career thus far, it is crucial............absolutely crucial, that we not elect a Republican to the whitehouse. With those creeps holding control of the Senate and House, we would see an attack on the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, the Endangered Species Act............a complete reversal of all the gains made since the 60s. Then we would have-on a national basis-what Wisconsin is experiencing on the state basis. And that's simply not tolerable.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Tom, it was Winston Churchill who said what you quoted. Given the fact that he was an arch imperialist, it's a surprising comment from him. He also said, "I didn't become prime minister to oversee the dismantling of the British Empire". Of course the history of democracy is a mixed one. The Greeks started it but half the people in their domain were slaves! And when the American founding fathers wrote the declaration of independence, all about freedom- a large percentage of Americans were also slaves. Washington owned 500! And he also at one point owned 30,000 acres since he was a big land speculator- hardly a guy you'd expect to have much interest in the "common man". But, having read a great biography of him (forgot name of book)- he was indeed the father of the nation- which is why his monument in DC has a certain appearance. (ha)
Joe

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:14 pm

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors ... interests/

No matter who is elected you can expect more of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W5e7AwqksU

Also note.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

wisconsitom

Post by wisconsitom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Well, I'll certainly agree Cruz is no answer. Utterly beholden to big oil. That's why I say...I may have to pinch my nose shut and pull the Hillary handle. People act as if picking the better of two poor choices is somehow the wrong thing to do! Maybe if I'm standing on the street corner, late for an appointment, allowing myself to be still later is a better-though not great-option than stepping out in front of that bus that's coming.

Return to “Forest Ecology and Processes”