Wildlands and Woodlands- video

Discussion of general forest ecology concepts and of forest management practices.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Joe

Wildlands and Woodlands- video

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:24 am

I have just uploaded a video I recorded 2 years ago of David Foster presenting the Wildlands and Woodlands vision at the annual Native Tree Society Forest Summit at Mt. Holyoke Community College (http://www.nativetreesociety.org/). The video is 52 minutes, considerably longer than most online videos, but the presentation is so thorough and the subject so important that I didn't want to edit it. I have it on 2 sites: for those with very fast internet connections (the video is high def.),
try the Vimeo site: http://vimeo.com/user845702/videos.
foster.JPG
foster.JPG (17.83 KiB) Viewed 763 times
If you have slow connection, try the YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDqVtm7hrI

David gave permission for this upload.

Joe Zorzin
Licesned Forester #261

edfrank

Re: Wildlands and Woodlands- video

Post by edfrank » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:50 am

Joe,

Thanks for the post. I would like to see more of the presentations posted online if possible.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:37 am

edfrank wrote:Joe,

Thanks for the post. I would like to see more of the presentations posted online if possible.

Ed
Ed, I was planning on taping most of that event- but I got lazy. I really, really, really dig doing video and plan to do a lot more. That was an easy one- just set up tripod and let it rip, with no editing. Digital technology today is incredible- the cameras are far better and cheaper- and being able to upload to the world, at little or not cost is awesome.

Maybe at the next NTS Summit, I'll be more ambitious- thanks for adding the image.

Regarding the W&W vision- I like it except for one thing- it's objective is to accomplish this protection work over the next several decades. I'd prefer to speed it up.
Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Joe,

I set up the tripod and recorded all of the presentations at the Cook Forest event. For Bob's I am overlaying his Power Point slides ove3r the video switch between the two. So it is a narrated slide show with video. I am still working on the presentation. I am currently processing Dale doing his Trees of Northwestern PA presentation on my laptop. For the moment it is the video of the screen and him talking. I cropped it tighter on the video and the processing will take maybe 12 hours on my slow laptop. Either it the cropping and resampling of every frame in HD or it is just having a hard time making Dale look good!! I have the presentations by Sheri Shannon and Joan Maloof to do yet. I also have video from the field trips on the first day and the tree measuring practice to be edited. There is a lot of processing time needed on my computer in the next week or so.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Ed, where will you upload the videos to?
Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:02 pm

*I will upload to Vimeo or Youtube I have accounts in both places and a NTS one on Youtube.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:18 pm

edfrank wrote:*I will upload to Vimeo or Youtube I have accounts in both places and a NTS one on Youtube.
OK, I guess I'll have to check out your sites. Best way to learn is by seeing what other people are doing.
Joe

Return to “Forest Ecology and Processes”