Early Humans Played Role In Central African Deforestation

Discussion of general forest ecology concepts and of forest management practices.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Early Humans Played Role In Central African Deforestation

Post by edfrank » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:40 am

Yale Environment 360: Early Humans Played Role In Central African Deforestation, Study Says
http://bit.ly/wFhuEe
e360 digest, 10 Feb 2012:
A new study says that the activities of early humans — and not simply a dramatic shift in climate — played a significant role in transforming the ancient rainforests of Central Africa into savanna. In an analysis of sediment cores taken from the mouth of the Congo River, a team of scientists found evidence that weathering of clay sediment samples, which had been consistent for thousands of years, intensified abruptly about 3,000 years ago, indicating a significant increase in deforestation. According to their study, published online in Science, this shift coincided with the arrival of Bantu-speaking farmers from present-day Nigeria and Cameroon. continued....
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Don

Re: Early Humans Played Role In Central African Deforestatio

Post by Don » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Ed-
Other scientists suggest that climate change induces early human displacement because of deforestation...see Science (AAAS) December 6, 2010 where I've snipped the following paragraph from:

Did Climate Change Drive Prehistoric Culture Change?
by Michael Balter
"The team found that nearly all of the transitions between one cultural period and the next occurred at times of ecological and environmental changes. Thus the Paleoindian period, 13,500 to 11,250 years ago, was characterized by the presence of cold-adapted plants such as sedges and spruce and pine trees; the so-called Early Archaic period, 11,250 to 8200 years ago and corresponding to warmer climes, saw a decrease in pine and an increase in oak trees; and 8200 years ago, when another, short cold spell hit much of the world, prehistoric humans underwent another cultural shift known as the Middle Archaic period. The Late Archaic, beginning 5250 years ago, and the Woodland period 3000 years ago were accompanied by yet more climate and vegetation shifts, Munoz and his colleagues report online today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences."

Ain't science grand!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “Forest Ecology and Processes”