A New, Somewhat Moldy Branch On The Tree Of Life

Discussion of general forest ecology concepts and of forest management practices.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue May 17, 2011 9:39 pm

by Richard Harris
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/12/136207874 ... ee-of-life

Click on image to see its original size
Scientists say they have just now discovered an entirely new branch on the tree of life. It's made up of mysterious microscopic organisms. They're related to fungus, but they are so different, you could argue that they deserve their very own kingdom, alongside plants and animals.
"About 10 years ago, people started using molecular approaches," he says. "So they started targeting the DNA in the environment, specifically." Using those techniques, they struck pay dirt. They found novel bits of DNA — related to fungi, but clearly different from all of the known varieties — just about everywhere, "including pond water, lake water, freshwater sediments and marine sediments," Richards says. "Almost everywhere we looked we found this novel group." They then brought samples back to the lab and devised a technique to make the organisms containing this novel DNA glow under a microscope. As a result, they've managed to get a few glimpses of these mysterious life forms, which they have named cryptomycota.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Re: A New, Somewhat Moldy Branch On The Tree Of Life

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue May 17, 2011 10:01 pm

Ed-

I think Richard Harris left the cake out in the rain at Mac Arthur Park a bit too long---must be how these organisms got established ;)
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Forest Ecology and Processes”