What Happens When BP Spills Coffee? (Video)

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:42 pm

coffee.JPG
coffee.JPG (25.03 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
[/url]

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/06 ... comedy.php
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Don

Re: What Happens When BP Spills Coffee? (Video)

Post by Don » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:34 am

Ed-
Probably not far off the mark!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:11 am

Mentioning BP and the oil spill, has anyone visited the gulf lately to see how bad it actually is? Larry Tucei?

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:07 am

James, Ents, Its bad! Friends of mine are flying over it and some are helping with the cleanup. Our Ms., coastline has been spared the oil for now but Louisana Marshes are really taking a beating. Oil is mostly confined north and east from the area where the rig blew up. The spill is now about the size of the state of Vermont! Alabama's coastline is starting to receive large oil clumps with some getting into Perdido Bay. Nortwest Florida is also starting to receive small clumps on its beaches. Oil booms are in place in each State protecting Bays, Rivers, Inlets, etc., and they help but do not prevent some oil from getting through. The current in the Gulf is sending the spill east and west from the spot where the rig was and its predicted to go along the western edge of Florida. Eventually around to the east side with the help of the Gulf Stream. The Marine life, Wildlife and Seafood industry will suffer the most with a domino effect on, tourism, buisness, loss of sales taxes, etc. Its predicted by scientists that we will feel the effects of this disaster for decades! Our Federal Govt., has been slow to respond as usuall. It seems no plan of action was put in effect for something like this. The Oil companies have been drilling in our Gulf for over 40 years with that much experience you would think that this type of situation would not happen. If the oil stopped flowing today we still would have 53 days of oil coming onshore! So the longer it takes to shut it off the oil flow the worse it becomes. Everyone is wondering what our Gulf Coast will be like after this if all over!!! I'll keep you posted. Larry

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:27 am

Larry,

We have been following it closely since we are planning a trip to Panama City in just over a couple of weeks from now. So far Panama City Beaches are clear of oil but it gets closer day by day. We have our fingers crossed that it waits after we go to hit Panama City Fl.

The whole gulf situation is sad. An environmental disaster that will dwarf the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:57 am

Ed, Larry, James, et al,

The video was pretty funny, but the real event is a tragedy of epic proportions. It is mind-boggling. What makes me the saddest is the impact on small businesses, the fishermen, the small motel owners, etc. It is so, so tragic, and so, so predictable.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:13 pm

I concur with Bob, it is mind-boggling how big of a disaster this whole thing is. If anything, like what occured with Katrina it exposes how limited the power our goverment has to react or tackle such events. What an ugly mess.

Don

Post by Don » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:01 am

What's worse than a BP oil spill? A BP oil spill followed shortly after by another Katrina...
Science Center

Kapn.K

Post by Kapn.K » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:17 am

Don wrote:What's worse than a BP oil spill? A BP oil spill followed shortly after by another Katrina...
As a Florida native, that subject comes up frequently at work, the airwaves, etc. We don't even need a Katrina. The first gulf hurricane will be disastrous in it's efficiency.
Steve

Don

Post by Don » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Steve-
Great foreboding...I've a friend who's just been sent to Florida as a division supervisor...he'll be taking charge of a section of beach with workers tasked with gathering oil spill wildlife victims (seabirds, mammals, etc.)...it's going to be heartbreaking.
Science Center

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”