Possible unauthorized bur oak limb cuts

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Possible unauthorized bur oak limb cuts

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:18 pm

NTS,

These two limb cuts are more horizontal than what I typically see and I'm curious what others think. One of the trees resides inside the fence and the limb cut is also inside the fence. There was evidence of heavy machinery near the base.

This very small and very well-known nature preserve is a pristine prairie remnant. I have notified the land manager and they promised to visit the site. A possible motive is that the limbs were shading the field. I counted approximately 175 rings on one of the limbs.
IMG_6012 2.JPG
IMG_6012.jpg
IMG_6010.jpg
IMG_6011.jpg
IMG_6016.jpg
IMG_6015.jpg
IMG_6014.jpg
IMG_6013.jpg
Matt

Joe

Re: Possible unauthorized bur oak limb cuts

Post by Joe » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:03 am

Bad work! I've seen worse- but this work should have cut closer to the main stem of the tree. The exposed wood would be larger if cut closer - but they'd heal better. I'm not an arborist, just a forester- so I'm curious what the arborists in this forum have to say.

Somebody in my 'hood recently pruned a big oak and left stumps from 6" to a 1' long. Makes me sick to look at them.
Joe

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:46 am

You are right Joe, this work was done by a non professional, or at minimum a poorly trained one. You are supposed to cut back to the "collar", which is a bulge, sometimes slight, which indicates the point where a dead branch would be naturally shed by the tree under ideal conditions. Good cuts usually are quite close to the trunk at the top, but angle out some at the bottom, depending on the shape of the collar. Such cuts are never this far from the trunk.

wisconsitom

Post by wisconsitom » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:07 am

Exactly right. Me...I've pruned right around 26,382 trees to date. And it is indeed the branch collar/branch bark ridge which together make up the target for proper placement of cut. It's easy once you get used to it. Like was already said-I've too seen worse, but this is far from good.

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Very insightful! Thanks fellas!

I'm going to touch base with the land manager again and see if they've made any determinations. They should bring in an arborist and make the best decision for the continued health of these important bur oaks.

Matt

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”