killing wolves

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Joe

killing wolves

Post by Joe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:57 am

Killing Wolves: A Product of Alberta’s Big Oil and Gas Boom

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/alberta_ca ... airs/2459/

jamesrobertsmith

Re: killing wolves

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:56 am

Ranchers, hunters, industrialists are all enemies of the environment and--of course--the wolf. I'm resigned to seeing all of the major large predators go extinct if I live another thirty years. I'm sure my son will live to see all of the a wild megafauna (not just the predators) go extinct. Big business and their loud-mouthed whining foils will see to that.

(Want to see a hunter froth at the mouth? Mention coyotes, wolves, or mountains lions. They go mad.)

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:22 am

jamesrobertsmith wrote:Ranchers, hunters, industrialists are all enemies of the environment and--of course--the wolf. I'm resigned to seeing all of the major large predators go extinct if I live another thirty years. I'm sure my son will live to see all of the a wild megafauna (not just the predators) go extinct. Big business and their loud-mouthed whining foils will see to that.

(Want to see a hunter froth at the mouth? Mention coyotes, wolves, or mountains lions. They go mad.)

JRS,

I so much agree with you. While I agree with the wise management of wildlife I do not believe as humans we have the right to drive any species to extinction.

Hunters have a considerable hatred of coyotes and wolves. I think it is in part because they view them as a threat. As competitors for their game. Personally, I am for re-introduction of any animal to their former native habitat. And that includes the wolf. Coyotes are very numerous here in the NC mountains and are hated beyond any other animal. I see and especially hear them nightly here in Mills River. While I advocate controlling their numbers ( They have no natural predator ) I do not advocate senseless killing out of hatred. Us humans are part of nature too and we should view other animals as our " brothers and sisters ".

James Bob, with your very naturalistic and pro-nature activistic views, you would make a good druid. All serious druids are very pro-nature and many become involved in activism. Dana ( Mother Earth ) needs people to speak for her. Or in time she might drive US to extinction!

People need to wise up!!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:38 am

No top predator has a control on its numbers other than the natural dictates of its environment. If there is enough food, then they thrive. If not, they diminish. Coyotes do not need humans to kill them. What controls are on the numbers of humans? None. Do we need hunters to go around killing excess humans?

If I was a member of any religion (I am not and do not plan to be) I would be a Druid/Pagan. Anything but a member of one of the hateful monotheistic religions, all of which I completely and utterly despise.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:54 pm

James,
jamesrobertsmith wrote:No top predator has a control on its numbers other than the natural dictates of its environment. If there is enough food, then they thrive. If not, they diminish. Coyotes do not need humans to kill them. What controls are on the numbers of humans? None. Do we need hunters to go around killing excess humans?

If I was a member of any religion (I am not and do not plan to be) I would be a Druid/Pagan. Anything but a member of one of the hateful monotheistic religions, all of which I completely and utterly despise.
While I am also against needless killing of any animal, there's a rightful and useful place for hunting (and fishing). I reject the view that humans, plants, and animals are all on the same level value-wise and advocate responsible hunting/fishing/trapping techniques as well as forestry practices. That being said, I, like you, am a proponent of wilderness areas, left alone by man and to be enjoyed for generations to come. But I would not go as far as you seem to advocate and not for the same reasons. I've hunted coyotes in central NY, and I have family and friends who do. They are pests and are nowhere near becoming endangered or extinct. Coyotes will kill young livestock, poultry, and pets where overpopulation is a problem, and they need to be controlled. Wolves I have no experience with, so I'll leave that alone.

One short comment on your last paragraph: I won't begrudge you for your feelings toward "monotheistic" religions, but you seem to have the same hatred towards them that you accuse them of. Maybe that's just my perception, but I find that hypocritical. This is not a forum on religion or philosophy, so I'll not comment more about this.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:05 pm

jamesrobertsmith wrote:No top predator has a control on its numbers other than the natural dictates of its environment. If there is enough food, then they thrive. If not, they diminish. Coyotes do not need humans to kill them. What controls are on the numbers of humans? None. Do we need hunters to go around killing excess humans?

JRS, Elijah

I agree with what you are saying about top predators being controlled by the number of their prey. I know that is usually the regulating factor in their numbers.

Around here ( NC ), there is debate whether coyotes were originally native here. Growing up I never saw them. I did not start seeing them until 1990 or so. So, along with bears I guess they are the top predator outside of man. But are we justified at killing them because they are (re )introduced and have an impact on the deer population? Also they sometimes attack livestock. Even then I would only kill the ones who threatened my animals and I would leave the rest alone. Otherwise I would never kill a coyote unless it threatened me. I have had them follow me on a trail out of sight several times but they have never actually threatened me in any way.

I am still a practicing Christian and I just feel that Christianity falls short on some things. Things like a reverence for nature. I worship God and venerate my ancestors and nature. I have no problem with Pagans. Though I do not believe in the beliefs of many religions I do believe in open-mindedness, peace and co-existence concerning all faiths. Even those of atheists.

Druidry is not necessary a religion. It can be a spiritual path OR a philosophy. Though modern druids are more likely to be pagan, they also can be Christian, etc. A few are even atheists. Seeing the interconnectedness of all life as a " spirituality. ", while others use it as only a philosophy of living without any spiritual or religious element at all.

Modern druids have little in common with their historical namesakes. But that is of no surprise since so little is actually known about the " ancient ones ".

Back to trees and " killing wolves ".
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:48 am

Personally, I can't imagine how anyone could kill anything- other than insects. In theory I'm a vegetarian, but not completely, so I feel somewhat guilty for the occaisional meat that I enjoy. But, I wouldn't think of trying to stop others from killing animals. To me, it's all about karma- if others kill animals, it's their bad karma, not mine.

I haven't advanced to the point where I'd also feel reluctance to kill plants- but I think about that sometimes. Plants don't have nerves and don't know what's happening to them, but even so.... life is precious.
Joe

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Get some wolves and cougar back in here and you will see coyote numbers drop.

wisconsitom

Post by wisconsitom » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:20 pm

Few cases of anti-coyote cruelty could top what goes on in my namesake state. Contests are held. The person who shoots the most coyotes wins a prize. So does the person who shoots the littlest coyote. I hate this state, even though I love it. We've got a lot of really creepy people here, so much so that it is they who are taken as the normal folks. Is it any wonder we've got a corrupt criminal like Scott Walker running the show? No, it's not.......

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Tom,

We feel your pain. Wisconsin needs you. Hang in there.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”