TrekEast Blog 55 Monadnock Highlands

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 pm

Submitted by John Davis on Sun, 2011-09-25 07:40

http://wildlandsnetwork.org/trekeast/bl ... etwork2%29
Somewhere West of Walden

Mid-September, 2011

Click on image to see its original size

Not far from the booming metropolis of Boston lies a 8lovely little pond, which Thoreau undoubtedly would have found winsome and uplifting, in the heart of a forest wilder than most of northern Maine. Less than a hundred miles west-northwest from Boston Harbor, as the loon flies (one circling above the pond now even as I write, maybe warming up for its later flight southeast to the Mid-Atlantic Coast), is a romantically named forest I won’t name the pond, as the family values and deserves peace and quiet; but I will name two of the family members, Annie Faulkner and Bob King, friends I’ve known and admired since meeting them at a talk by my mentor Dave Foreman nearly 20 years ago. I will disclose also the family’s name for their 11,000 acres of conserved land: Andorra Forest, hearkening back to a Faulkner family trip to that mysterious little European country long ago when Andorra was a place not of duty-free sales but of alpine and pastoral beauty.

continued...
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”