The Colorado River: Running Near Empty

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/video_colo ... 443/#video
Photographer Peter McBride traveled along the Colorado River from its source high in the Rocky Mountains to its historic mouth at the Sea of Cortez. In this Yale Environment 360 video, he follows the natural course of the Colorado by raft, on foot, and overhead in a small plane, telling the story of a river whose water is siphoned off at every turn, leaving it high and dry 80 miles from the sea.

In the video, McBride, a Colorado native, documents how increasing water demands have transformed the river that is the lifeblood for an arid Southwest.
[html]<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://e360.yale.edu/video/player-licensed.swf" style="" id="mpl" name="mpl" quality="high" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" flashvars="&author=Yale e360&file=http://c375872.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/chas ... eature.jpg" height="452" width="768">[/html]

I want to thank Joe Zorzin for forwarding this link to me.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: The Colorado River: Running Near Empty

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:33 pm

This is the kind of thing that lets me know that nothing is going to get better until the human race dies off. We're hell bound to destroy Mother Earth.

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 pm

I guess what bothers me more is what we do with the diverted water. Building big cities in the desert, because we like the sun seems like a poor excuse to destroy an ecosystem.

And then you can use google earth to find just gratuitous stuff like this in Phoenix:
phoenix.jpg
Though thankfully, this isn't representative of the city at large.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:16 am

Robert,

Periodically, you and I come to the same conclusion. If there is a higher moral court out there somewhere that will eventually judge humanity on the basis of how we have treated other life forms and the overall life support systems of the Earth, then we're in big trouble. Really big trouble.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:26 am

pogo.jpg
pogo.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
every plant is native somewhere

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:09 am

Steve Galehouse wrote:
pogo.jpg
it's easy for people to not realize all the implications of their modern comforts or they do realize but they supress such uncomfortable facts

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Steve Galehouse wrote:
pogo.jpg
Walt Kelly is still relevant. What a wonderful talent he was.

Rand

Post by Rand » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 pm

"We have met the enemy and he is us"
I can't help wondering what the average third world citizen would think of this thread. Here we are, comfortable middle class american's whose lifestyle would be the envy of kings throughout ages, and whose ecological footprint is many times that of most everyone else on the earth.

I think we'd be called a bunch of self-righteous bastards...

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:49 pm

They probably would wish they were us, and that they had our problems instead of theirs.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:46 pm

jamesrobertsmith wrote:This is the kind of thing that lets me know that nothing is going to get better until the human race dies off. We're hell bound to destroy Mother Earth.
How right you probably are. It is something we commonly talk about on the druid forums. Many neo-druids are avid activists.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”