TrekEast Blog 52 Adirondack Rambles

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Submitted by John Davis on Wed, 2011-08-31 15:03
http://wildlandsnetwork.org/trekeast/bl ... ck-rambles

Click on image to see its original size
Traveling a Good Bit about Home

Mid-August 2011

The great walker and writer Henry David Thoreau (pictured left) noted in his most famous work, Walden, he had traveled extensively around his home on Walden Pond, Massachusetts. I took inspiration from his sauntering lifestyle while I was back home in the eastern Adirondack Park – enjoying a little adventure every day, seeing new parts of the Park, especially my neighborhood of Split Rock Wildway, by trail or stream or lake or back-road or bush, as weather and time dictate. After about 5,500 miles of exploring new ground, I enjoyed a couple hundred miles of simply walking and cycling and paddling familiar yet ever-new terrain in one of the main biological connections between the Adirondack Coast, as some of us affectionately know our west Lake Champlain shoreline and adjacent hills, and the Adirondack Mountains to the west.

From years of living and wandering in the West Champlain Hills, I know that Split Rock Wildway provides connective habitat for many species of concern. My species list for Hemlock Rock Wildlife Sanctuary (private land in the heart of the Wildway that the Northeast Wilderness Trust and I are conserving) includes: bear, bobcat, fisher, otter, mink, coyote, moose, bald eagle, osprey, barred and great horned and saw-whet owls, many warblers and thrushes and other interior forest songbirds, five frog kinds, more but seldom visible salamanders, painted and snapping and spiny softshell turtles, dragon’s mouth and grass pink orchids, sundews and pitcher plants, and some 20 tree species.
continued.... http://wildlandsnetwork.org/trekeast/bl ... ck-rambles
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”