Care about the forest? Here’s what you can do

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri May 06, 2011 12:01 am

by Franke James
3 May 2011 12:30 PM
http://www.grist.org/green-living-tips/ ... you-can-do

whocares.JPG
whocares.JPG (41.67 KiB) Viewed 638 times
[/url]

ENTS,

I came across this artistic essay by Franke James via Facebook. I am not asking that you necessarily agree with everything presented here, whether they be quibbles or major differences of opinion. What I found amazing was the presentation and creativity the piece shows. You can view it as a graphic page at the link above (recommended) or as a video presentation of the same material with a link on the top of the page. It is to me truly amazing. Please check it out.

Edward Frank
Who cares about the forest? That's the question author/artist Franke James explores in this creative personal story commissioned by the Forest Stewardship Council of Canada. Check out the visual essay below, or watch it as an animated video http://www.grist.org/green-living-tips/ ... -can-do/P2.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Re: Care about the forest? Here’s what you can do

Post by Joe » Fri May 06, 2011 6:30 am

absolute pure propaganda by FSC

the naive lady tree hugger learns that FSC forests are wonderful, the animals are happy, blah, blah, blah....

yuh, it is a creative piece for a bad organization

I once thought FSC was cool too until a property across from my last house was raped and pillage and it was FSC Smartwood Certified, then thousands of acres of Mass. state forest which were FSC certified were raped and pillaged

neither FSC nor all the enviro groups in the state did anything about either- both saying all was fine, it was only a small band of activists who managed to get the state kicked out of FSC- only after those activists spoke up did FSC finally do its duty, before the activists, FSC said the state's work was terrific

so, FSC is just a giant protection racket for bad forestry- and now they're hiring artists to do propaganda.... if I were an artistic video person, I wouldn't do such work for any amount of money for such a phony entity...
Joe

edfrank

Re: Care about the forest? Here’s what you can do

Post by edfrank » Fri May 06, 2011 10:55 am

Joe,

I can't disagree with you on the points you made about the abuses under so called Forest Stewardship Council standards. That is why I put a disclaimer in the introduction, but I really like the style of the message if not the content. I think messages about issues that matter could influence more people if they where presented in a friendlier and less strident manner such as is used in this presentation. Conservation groups are missing the boat with a condescending attitude and technical jargon, while their opponents are reaching the masses with "fun" messages such as these. As I said this is a commentary on the style of the message and the presentation. This format could help influence people no matter what the message it is presenting. This concept should be put into our tool box for whenever we need to find a way to promote a message of our own. ENTS is not a conservation organization, nor an advocacy group, but being a scientific organization does not obviate our moral obligation to ourselves and to promote better forest practices and to support conserving exceptional forest areas where found.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”