Faux trees convert CO2 to O2

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:13 pm

March 10, 2011 by Katie Gatto weblog
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-fau ... o2-o2.html

Click on image to see its original size
...Researchers at the Lenfest Center for Sustainable Energy at Columbia University, led by Dr. Klaus Lackner, have designed a faux tree that is supposed to do the job of a real tree. The machine, that was designed by Dr Lackner, and Mario Caceres and Christian Canonico of Influx_Studio, is designed to pull CO2 from the air and emit oxygen instead. The project's result, called the Boston Treepod Initiative is designed to look like the dragon blood tree.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Rand

Re: Faux trees convert CO2 to O2

Post by Rand » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:26 pm

I can't decide whether this is kinda cool, or slightly retarded in a quaint, well meaning sort of way. I mean, you use a lot of fossil fuel based energy to manufacture something like this and trees manufacture themselves at the cost of a little rooting space. Perhaps you could justify something like this in the middle of the sahara (lots of sun and no rain), but everywhere else I suspect it will be heroically futile gesture.

James Parton

Re: Faux trees convert CO2 to O2

Post by James Parton » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:30 pm

It looks cool but it seems to me that simply planting more real trees would make more sense and be much cheaper. However there may be places that trees don't grow well that this may be of use.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”