Group Seeks Forest Restoration To Cleanse Planet

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:11 pm

by The Associated Press

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =134512634

Click on image to see its original size
...Milarch, a tree nursery operator from the northern Michigan village of Copemish, and sons Jared and Jake have been producing genetic copies of ancient trees since the 1990s. They've now joined with Elk Rapids businesswoman Leslie Lee and a team of researchers to establish Archangel Archive, which has a staff of 17 and an indoor tree research and production complex.

Its mission: Clone the oldest and largest individuals within the world's most ecologically valuable tree species, and persuade people to buy and plant millions of copies — on factory grounds and college campuses; along riverbanks and city streets; in forests, farms, parks and back yards...(continued)
archive.JPG
archive.JPG (51.12 KiB) Viewed 623 times
http://www.ancienttreearchive.org
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Re: Group Seeks Forest Restoration To Cleanse Planet

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Its mission: Clone the oldest and largest individuals within the world's most ecologically valuable tree species, and persuade people to buy and plant millions of copies — on factory grounds and college campuses; along riverbanks and city streets; in forests, farms, parks and back yards...(continued)
Ed-

I'm a bit skeeved out by this group; I think they are in it for the money, despite being non-prof(doesn't apply to payroll). Stating Sequoia and Sequoiadendron as some of the world's most ecologically valuable tree species is simply not accurate, in my opinion----these species are extremely important and valuable, bot not in an ecological sense, if for nothing else than their limited native ranges and limited adaptability in cultivation. I think they are targeting the Nature Conservancy types for financial support.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Steve Galehouse wrote:
Ed-

I'm a bit skeeved out by this group; I think they are in it for the money, despite being non-prof(doesn't apply to payroll). Stating Sequoia and Sequoiadendron as some of the world's most ecologically valuable tree species is simply not accurate, in my opinion----these species are extremely important and valuable, bot not in an ecological sense, if for nothing else than their limited native ranges and limited adaptability in cultivation. I think they are targeting the Nature Conservancy types for financial support.

Steve
I also don't see much need to propagate special trees- let nature fix itself, by minimizing human impact. I'd be a lot more excited in seeing a damaged landscape fix itself than having humans do it. It would be superior ecologically, because it's more likely to be sustainable- and, it's likely to be superior aesthetically- and at little or no cost.

I love seeing plants breaking through cracks in cement and pavement. I've been wanting to photograph them but haven't gotten around to it.
Joe

TN_Tree_Man

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Steve,

I am with you concerning this group. I am reminded of all of the groups who provide "green" services that are able to make a quick buck from the unsuspecting.

You may be familiar with this site regarding nursery stock from different historic trees from around the country and abroad produced/provided by Jeff Meyer. I find the prices a bit steep to my liking for some of his seedlings but he has a market. Jeff also has a book entitled, "America's Famous and Historic Trees" that is worthy of a place in the home library.

http://www.historictrees.org/ht_m/abous_co.htm

Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Joe,

Normally, I agree about letting nature take its course, however I did a tree climbing seminar in Chiapas for a great Mexican NGO called AMBIO. They work with various communities and farmers to encourage planting trees while emphasizing replanting forests with the natural diversity they had before they were cut. To do this it is necessary to collect seeds in the trees before they are attacked by insects or fungus etc. which is the case with the vast majority of seeds that have already fallen to the ground or blown on the wind. The problem is that in some environments, the natural forest may virtually never return where a few non native species tend to grow in and replace what had originally been a diverse forest if it does not get some human assistance. See link for some mention of AMBIO here: http://www.tropicalforestgroup.org/articles/elsa.html

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:04 am

Maybe they have found a hemlock replacement...if there is one to be found?
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”