TrekEast

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Re: TrekEast

Post by edfrank » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Blog 5: Lake Wales Ridge, Central Florida
Submitted by testuser1 on Thu, 2011-02-24 12:21
North to the West
Lake Wales Ridge, Central Florida, 17-19 February 2011

http://wildlandsnetwork.org/trekeast/bl ... t=FaceBook
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Trek East Blog Index

http://www.twp.org/trekeast/blog

Blog 8 Ocala National Forest
Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 9:10 PM
March 4, Ocala National Forest
Ocala National Forest is very important ecologically and is a very important part of the Ocala to Osceola Greenway, a critical floridawildlifecorridor.org Florida Wildlife Corridor. I found the words and photos of my comrade Bruce, a most hilarious and brilliant naturalist, to be a a great...

Blog 7 Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park
Posted Mar 8, 2011 @ 10:03 PM
Into the Great Wide Open
Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park, 19-20 February 2011

Blog 6: Archbold Biological Station
Posted Mar 4, 2011 @ 2:57 PM
The Health of Stations
Archbold Biological Station, Lake Wales Ridge, south-central Florida, February 18

Blog 5: Lake Wales Ridge, Central Florida
Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 12:21 PM
North to the West Lake Wales Ridge, Central Florida, 17-19 February 2011 Sometimes Florida seems the most northern of southern states and the most western of eastern. The northern influences are largely cultural, as millions of people in recent decades have fled the colder climes of the...
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:05 pm

March 16, 2011
Tracking TrekEast: Week 4

Click on image to see its original size
Davis headed north from Kissimmee Prairie Preserve to the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge at the start of TrekEast's fourth week. The refuge, part of a 980,000-acre stretch known as the Nature Coast and home to 19 endangered species, provided Davis with 31,000 acres of saltwater bays, estuaries, and marshes to explore.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Hiker on national trek takes side-step through Alabama
Published: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 7:15 AM
Thomas Spencer -- The Birmingham News By Thomas Spencer -- The Birmingham News

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/03/hik ... kes_s.html
John Davis took to the trails of the Sipsey Wilderness in the Bankhead National Forest Friday, a side-trip on what he expects to be a 4,500-mile journey from Key Largo to Canada.

edfrank

Picking up John Davis: A How-To

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Picking up John Davis: A How-To

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWT5Rb-TFE&feature=youtu.be

Uploaded by wildlandsnetwork on Mar 28, 2011
Susannah on her way to get Trekeast cyclist, hiker, kayaker, & adventurer as he cycles in off the Silver Comet Trail in Dallas, Ga.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Wildlands Network:

John's first day in Georgia. Listen to some of his TrekEast Adventures!
twaud.io - Audio for Twitter - Got Georgia on my mind!

gotgeorgia.JPG
gotgeorgia.JPG (16.7 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
[/url]

http://twaud.io/qP0w

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Blog 13 Red Hills Preserve and Perry Lakes Park
Submitted by John Davis on Wed, 2011-03-30 14:14

Finding Florida in Alabama

Red Hills Preserve and Perry Lakes Park, March 18-19

Photos: Courtesy of Sarah Dunn
Some Floridians forget about their Panhandle, nearer Montgomery than Miami, but Alabama conservationists do not. Alabamans dedicated to protecting their state’s immense biological wealth know that their own state’s small panhandle, especially the Mobile-Tensaw River delta, is still partly wild and amazingly rich; and they know that connections from southern Alabama into the Florida Panhandle are of great importance to a wide array of rare, sensitive, or wide-ranging species.

Not until I’d traveled through Conecuh National Forest and visited the Red Hills – and talked with such conservation visionaries as Jimmy & Sierra Stiles, Beth Young, Alex Varner, and Bill Finch -- did I understand the potential for a vast Red Hills/Lower Coastal Plain wildlands complex encompassing numerous existing or proposed parks and refuges, dozens of rivers flowing south into the Gulf of Mexico, remnant stands of old-growth longleaf pine, countless freshwater springs, surreal karst topography, and the greatest assemblage of freshwater fish, mussels, snails, crayfish, turtles, and damselflies in the country.

edfrank

TrekEast Blog 14 Talladega National Forest

Post by edfrank » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:27 pm

TrekEast Blog 14 Talladega National Forest
Submitted by testuser1 on Fri, 2011-04-01 11:39

Oakmulgee District, Talladega National Forest
March 20-21, 2011

The block of the Talladega National Forest south of Brent, centered on Oakmulgee Creek, which drains west into that corridor of biodiversity superlatives, the Cahaba River, which turns out to be as much private as public land. Thus did I ride clear across the Forest Service district and most of the way back before finding a campsite. A fine site it finally was, though, and the view from atop the stream-side beach tree I climbed revealed springtime unfolding in subtle greens and brighter reds.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Trekking 5,000 miles to connect man and wildlife
By Steve Almasy, CNN
April 13, 2011 -- Updated 1232 GMT (2032 HKT)
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/ed ... index.html
Atlanta (CNN) -- On a good day, John Davis will hike 15 miles. On the best days, he may only travel only two.

Sound backward? You should know Davis is on no ordinary trip. Davis is using human power to travel 5,000 miles on a 10-month trek from the Florida Keys to Canada. He's hiking and biking, canoeing and kayaking, and as he gets to more northerly climes, he'll be skiing, too. His mission isn't soul-searching in nature, it's searching for nature's soul. He's exploring the parks and wildlife refuges of the East Coast, learning more about the problems encountered by the animals and plants with which we share the planet. (continued)

edfrank

TrekEast Home Video: Uwharrie National Forest North Carolina

Post by edfrank » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:52 am

TrekEast Home Video: Uwharrie National Forest North Carolina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYceRZioao&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYceRZi ... e=youtu.be

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”