Tree Contest through Library System

Discussions of tree, forest, and outdoor activities for children, and teens, and approaches to to help prevent the next generation from suferring from nature deficit disorder.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Gary Beluzo

Tree Contest through Library System

Post by Gary Beluzo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:37 am

ENTS,

Here is an idea to get kids involved with ENTS. I am part of a list for the libraries of Massachusetts (I use it to publicize the HCC FOREST SUMMIT and ENTS RENDEZVOUS here in western MA) and I am thinking we could put together a Tree contest which could be posted at all of the public libraries in MA (or in your state). We would need to go up with guidelines, simple measurement techniques, etc. Kids would submit their entries (through the library?) and include an image, description, measurment (girth and ?). A temporary bulletin board could be put up at each library perhaps and post the kids entries. Of course there would need to be prizes and publicity.

What do you think?

Gary
"..powered in ecological space and evolutionary time.."

Larry Tucei

Re: Tree Contest through Library System

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Gary, That is a cool idea. Perhaps the winner could receive a visit from some ENTs key members and receive a certificate of achievement. Or have whole classroom participation with different schools involved. How about a tree, nature olympics. The possibilities are endless. Larry

Return to “Children and Teens: Nature Activities and Education”