Checking Impulse 200LR tilt sensor

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Checking Impulse 200LR tilt sensor

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:00 am

Ents,

With plans to re-measure the Northeast's tallest accurately measured tree, insuring the measuring instruments are reliable is a no-brainer. Past tests of the Impulse's laser's accuracy supports a range for my particular instrument of +/- 1.5 centimeters. Michael Taylor sold me a good one. Below are the results of an indoor test of the tilt sensor, which is rated by LTI at an accuracy of +/= 0.1 degrees.
Impulse200LRTiltSensor.png
The test suggests that the tilt sensor is accurate to within 0.045 degrees within an angle range of 10 degrees from the lower to the upper leg of the triangle. It is not clear if this level of accuracy will hold through a wider arc or from higher angles or lower ones, e.g. 50 to 60 degrees, but the results of the little test are increasingly reassuring for the range of angles associated with a measurement of the Jake Swamp Pine.

One may fairly ask the question as to why I am so preoccupied with often re-measuring Jake and sending out notices of the results to the world. Of course I like the idea of a tree of such stature practically in my back yard, but there is more to it than that. The resource manager responsible for Jake and his companions is the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). Within DCR, it is the Bureau of Forestry. Over the years, the Bureau has remained sublimely ignorant of the exceptional trees on its properties, and that statement isn't exaggerated. It is rather like a wildlife official not happening to be aware of or showing interest in a 4-ton pink elephant often seen along the trails. This intentional or un-intentional ignoring of the exceptional trees on DCR properties has serious undertones that could be discussed, but I'd rather not go there. I choose to keep the spot light on the trees and hope for the best.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”