LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#41)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby George Fieo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 pm

M.W.Taylor wrote:I tried to process Patapsco Valley State Park and rolled snake eyes. The LiDAR is missing crown data and basically 2-dimenstional. The only LiDAR set I could find for that area is from 2004 and of the lowest resolution I've seen. Will have to wait until higher resolution LiDAR comes out. Sorry I could not help you on this. Attached is the map of the area I downloaded LiDAR for and the name of the LiDAR files from the original source.

2004 MD DNR LiDAR Anne Arundel, Charles Howard & Marys Counties

Thanks Michael,

Your definitely on the nice list this year with all the LiDAR data coverage.

I was in Patapsco Valley SP yesterday in the area dead center of the tile.  Very promising. I measured eight tulips over 150' and recorded a new height record white ash for Maryland. Rucker Index is 129.83' and should hit the mid 130's.

George
George Fieo

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 110 times
Print view this post

#42)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby a_blooming_botanist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Michael,

I would like to take you up on your kind offer, if it still stands. I have been exploring several adjacent pieces of conservation land in Petersham, MA, which are owned by Harvard Forest, the Trustees of Reservations, and Mass Audubon, respectively. The area of interest roughly follows the East Branch of the Swift River from just northeast of Connor Pond in a southwest direction toward the Quabbin Reservoir. I have included an image showing the area to which I am referring.

Petersham MA area of interest.jpg

I’ve found several eastern white pines that stand just over 140’ tall, but my search of the terrain has not been exhaustive. I’d be curious to see what the LiDAR data show…

Also, can you recommend any learning material for getting into processing LiDAR? I would love to be able to do this myself some day.

Many thanks,
Jared
a_blooming_botanist

Has Liked: 105 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

#43)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby AndrewJoslin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:43 pm

The area Jared is showing in Petersham was hit by the famous F4 or F5 (different opinions) Worcester tornadao of 1953. I've heard anecdotally that it initially touched down on the hill just to the west of Connors Pond. I was shown the physical path of the tornado in 1967, it crossed roughly over the southern third of Connors Pond headed east/southeast. it's clear where the tornado went through after Connors Pond, the successional growth in the path is visible vs. the bordering pre 1953 woods, at least it was in '67 ;-)

It's pretty neat that there are 140 footers in the area considering the tornado event. There should be evidence in the crown forms of any older standing pines and other tree species remaining near the path, broken tops/regrowth etc. Clearly tornado damage can be extremely local to the path and it would make sense that the standing 140's on theses lands were unaffected or marginally affected by the storm.

LIDAR visualization may actually show the tornado path, that would be cool.
-AJ

For this message the author AndrewJoslin has received Likes :
a_blooming_botanist
AndrewJoslin

Has Liked: 162 times
Has Been Liked: 89 times
Print view this post

#44)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:15 pm

I just processed LiDAR for the Petersham area. There area a handful of 150' class trees in there with tallest at 154'. Will post the LiDAR images later today when I get a better internet connection. For some reason my satellite connection at home will not allow me to post pictures on this BBS, only text.

For this message the author M.W.Taylor has received Likes - 2:
a_blooming_botanist, AndrewJoslin
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 33 times
Has Been Liked: 368 times
Print view this post

#45)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:29 pm

See attached LIDAR area processed and height banded images. In "swifteast3" image, II increased the white banding to 150 ft to highlight the tallest. Yellow = 100 feet, red = 120 and white = 140 feet except for one image.
Attachments
Petersham LiDAR.jpg
swifteast3-150ft white.jpg
white increased to 150ft to highlight the 4 or so 15-' class trees. Tallest is 154'
swifteast3-140ft white.jpg
swifteast2.jpg
swifteast1.jpg
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 33 times
Has Been Liked: 368 times
Print view this post

#46)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby AndrewJoslin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:16 pm

I did a mapping of "swifteast3" (contains the 150' range LiDAR hits) to a satellite view that I pieced together. What I'm showing is very low res, I can make the high-res available to Jared for ground verification. With the layered high res version individual trees in the satellite view can be matched to the LiDAR hits. Jared may be all over this and already measured the trees, would not be surprised ;-)

The "orange box" in my image corresponds to the yellow box in Michael's "Petersham LiDAR.jpg" map image.

-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Has Liked: 162 times
Has Been Liked: 89 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry