Live Oak Crown Volumes

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Live Oak Crown Volumes

Postby Larry Tucei » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:24 pm

Don- Several years ago when the Live Oak Project got started Volume of Crown, Trunk, and Spread were discussed by myself, Ed, Will, Bob and others. In answer to your question I don't have a volume listing included but maybe on the top trees I should. As I say we have metioned this in the past and Ed helped me put one together on some of the Live Oaks. I only think that when two or more Champion Tree candidates numbers are close tothe same perhaps volume could be the tie breaker.  http://www.nativetreesociety.org/measur ... olumes.htm
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 693 times
Has Been Liked: 586 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Live Oak Crown Volumes

Postby Don » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Larry-
Took a look at your attachment, and clearly "you've been there, done that"!
As I scrolled down through your live oak images, a number of them had the appearance to me of being the top half of a sphere.  The formula for a sphere is V=(4/3)πr3.  For a half sphere, it would be V=((4/3)πr3)/2.  This might better approximate the volume of those 'hemi-spheric' live oaks.

Another way to look at volume might with a density component...where the amount of leaves comprises a percent density...for simplicity sake, let's say that would be determined by how much light would shine through the crown...no direct light would be 100%...half direct light, half leaves would be 50%...and a very sparse leaf showing might be 10%.

My real world use of crown volume was the amount of cellulose (foliage) that would be consumed, per unit of tree volume (trunk) by wildfire.  Lots of other data went with this to model how a wildfire might burn in a forest,  in any given topography.  It was one of the most challenging jobs I had at Grand Canyon. But I've rambled...
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

For this message the author Don has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
Don

Has Liked: 69 times