New tests of the LTI TruPulse 200X

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

New tests of the LTI TruPulse 200X

Post by dbhguru » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:25 pm

Ents,

I periodically test the accuracy of my different laser rangefinders and hypsometers. I just completed a fresh test of my TruPulse 200X, which I fondly call Sparky. The data in the table below speaks for itself.
TP200XvsGLR825.png
This test was different from preceding ones in that I kept the same target and the lighting conditions were nearly constant. I usually vary the target, shoot in a wide range of lighting, and over distances of up to 200 feet and beyond, trying to better simulate field conditions. The 200X distance returns are compared to those of a red beam industrial laser accurate to +/- 1.5 millimeters on clear targets.

As you can see, the performance of the 200X is spectacular over the range of distances shown in the table and to the same target. An average absolute distance difference of 1.86 centimeters is eye-popping. I usually quote to others an accuracy of between 3 and 4 centimeters, but clearly, it can be better for clear targets such as the 3" yellow disk with a green center that I used.

Note that this test of only of the laser. It does not call into play the tilt sensor, which for Sparky, based on past tests, is accurate to between 1/10th and 1/15th of a degree. The tilt sensor will be tested next, which is a more difficult test. The results will be put together with distance to establish an accuracy range for heights. My expectation is an accuracy range of 2 to 3 inches. We'll see.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”