A GPS watch?

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  A GPS watch?

Postby John Harvey » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:31 pm

What type of GPS do you use? I've been carrying a Garmin Nuvi around in my pocket to mark impressive trees I've been finding in Big Basin. Its about the same size as a cell phone so not too cumbersome but it is constantly "going off" in my pocket, making noise, and giving me audible directions to local police stations and Chinese food as I'm tape wrapping Douglas Fir. Has anyone used a gps watch before? Can you mark a location or hook them into your computer when you get home?
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 350 times
Has Been Liked: 433 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: A GPS watch?

Postby Matt Markworth » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:20 pm

John,

I use the Trimble Outdoors app on my iPhone. I start a new trip with each measuring excursion and when I stop the trip it automatically synchs up to the Trimble website. So I automatically have a record of my path, waypoints, waypoints for any photos taken, and various trip data. Trip data is private, and if needed a private link can be created if you want to share a particular trip with someone. Maps can be downloaded ahead of time (directly to phone with WiFi) if you'll be out of cell phone range. When out of cell phone range, there is a smooth transition to satellite-only.

I've never tried a watch, but I imagine it would be a very efficient way to mark waypoints. Somewhere down the road if the Apple Watch comes down in price then I can see myself using a combination of the iPhone, Apple Watch and GPS app.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 825 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: A GPS watch?

Postby John Harvey » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Matt,
Thanks. I may just have to download that. Cell service is non-existent but depending on which park I'm in the satellite service works very well if not constantly.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 350 times
Has Been Liked: 433 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: A GPS watch?

Postby Matt Markworth » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:19 pm

John,

Cool, I've had success with it. If memory serves me right, you can do almost everything with the free app so give it a try first, but I think the capability of downloading maps may require the paid app. I think it was $4.95.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 825 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: A GPS watch?

Postby Don » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:42 pm

First, hoping you're all having happy holidays!
More to the point, I wanted to give you guys kudos, as you represent the best of us, with your broadening of the envelope of tree measuring technologies! I'm falling behind with my Garmin GPS Map 60 Cx...I too am laying in wait for a cheaper, more independent iWatch!
Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 226 times
Print view this post