Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#21)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby mdavie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:22 pm

pattyjenkins1 wrote:
Virginia Tech's free vTree app is a pretty good identification app for iphones and androids.

Michael--unfortunately vTech is available only for Android. I looked in the App store and on the Virginia Tech website.

LeafSnap is indeed insufficient for treeID. Does anyone have any other ideas for a good tree ID app for iPhone?

patty

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/factsheets.cfm
mdavie

Has Liked: 245 times
Has Been Liked: 34 times
Print view this post

#22)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby Matt Markworth » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:43 pm

Matt Markworth wrote:Bob, All,

The 3 apps that I use the most in the field are Trimble Navigator, Calc Pro and Youtube Capture. Calc Pro serves the purpose of a scientific calculator and Youtube Capture is an easy way to take a series of quick video snippets and then easily edit and upload when I'm back in Wi-Fi range.

There are other GPS apps that I'm sure can serve the same purpose as Trimble Navigator, but it's just the one that I gravitated to. Here are the features/benefits that I find helpful:

Aerial/Street/Topographical/Terrain Maps

Records Your Track/Path - I enjoy seeing this when I'm done and helps in the field when determining the best way back to the starting point.

Mark Waypoints - Avoids the problem of forgetting where a tree is.

Geo-tagged Photos - This really helps to avoid the situation when you can't remember which photos match up with which tree. The photo can be named with the measurements of the tree. If someone prefers to use a real camera, then the iPhone can be used for a snapshot of the same scene that the real camera captured.

Can save trips to trimbleoutdoors.com and can also pre-plan trips and enter waypoints before you leave home.

The Pro version ($4.99) allows you to download maps to your phone so that you'll still have the map if you travel outside of cell phone coverage. Satellite coverage still keeps track of your location, but having the downloaded map is nice so you can still see your location on the map. When travelling outside of cell phone coverage it's good to have the app running while still within cell phone coverage so that there is a smoother transition from cell phone/satellite coverage over to strictly satellite coverage.

I also carry an IOGear 11,000mAh capacity recharger, which can recharge the iPhone multiple times.

Matt

All,

FYI, Trimble is sunsetting their Outdoors Navigator app :(

For data collection, a GIS approach will probably produce a better result anyway. Trimble was good at navigation, but probably not the best way to display the collected information in a way that can be customized. I'll do some research and see what works best.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1064 times
Has Been Liked: 815 times
Print view this post

#23)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby Matt Markworth » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:49 pm

I found what I think will be a suitable replacement for the Trimble Navigator app.

I used the MotionX-GPS ($1.99) on my IPhone today and it performed very well. It's had very high rankings and it's very easy to use including these easy functions: creating a track of my route, marking waypoints, taking photos in app with automatic geotagging, and naming waypoints and photos.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1064 times
Has Been Liked: 815 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry