Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#21)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby Don » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:09 am

Duncan-
I've been peripherally involved in several of the Cadre workshops, and can answer some of your questions.  Regarding updates, I'll leave that up to Bob to reply as he is the most current on the next few workshops to take place.

As to the West Coast, we are hoping to have one in the West but none are in the immediate 2016 picture...these things take quite a bit of advance work and coordination with a lot of people.  We in the core Measuring Guidelines Working Group are all volunteers, as are the National Cadre.  We have managed to coordinate a half dozen workshops  across the East and parts of the mid-West, by virtue of land management agencies (in the case of Durango, Colorado) such as the local Forest Service Supervisors Office, the Colorado Forest Service, and a number of local volunteers...they offer us in-kind contributions such as conference rooms for in-class instruction, agency transportation and permission for access to agency lands.

I'm sure that this might be more than what you wanted to know. We try to make them central, so that individuals attending the workshops can afford to travel (by car, bus, plane, etc.) to them.  So far, the workshops have been with no cost to attend (might have to bring your own lunch bag for field sessions).  If you thought there were others you know that would be seriously interested, I could contact old friends on the Plumas Ranger District and see if there was any support, interest in Quincy.

Failing that, in view of your interest in attending the local community college (Feather River/Peralta?), I've an idea. We have a Cadre apprentice program which we could adapt for you (not sure how much geometry/trigonometry you've had), which if handled right could provide you with "independent study" classes if the college has such opportunities, with exercises, quizzes, field labs, and exams.

Something to think about !

Want to get a head start?  Take a look at our online American Forests Measuring Guidelines at:
http://www.americanforests.org/wp-conte%20...%20nes_LR.pdf
Some crucial concepts to grasp there are: 1)differences between the Sine Method and the Tangent Method, 2)single-stem versus multi-stemmed trees.

-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 226 times
Print view this post

#22)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby DAKennedy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:13 pm

Hmmm,

Let's see.  I'm unsure that there is all that much local interest, although there may be a couple people in the class I'm taking at Feather River (Intro to Environmental Studies) that might be interested in learning the basics of tree measurement.  Some places that may be good options (plenty of trees, nearby airport, large town/city, etc.) are Bend, OR; Reno, NV; Chico, CA; and Placerville, CA.

As for the college independent study idea, I'll have to check with my instructor to see if she knows.  I'm good at Trig and Geometry (much better than I am at algebra).  And I am pretty sure I know the difference between a single stem and a multi stem, as well as Sine vs Tangent (Tangent was a pain in the behind because of how much gear I needed to pack around and the inaccuracy of the results).

Thanks!

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Student, Feather River College; Environmental Studies dept.
Young Tree Measurer.
http://sierracountybigtrees.wordpress.com/

For this message the author DAKennedy has received Likes :
Will Blozan
DAKennedy

Has Liked: 52 times
Has Been Liked: 64 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry