Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby Will Blozan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:28 am

Bob,

I read it through and it looks really great! The diagram on page 36 sums up the tangent limitations really well.

I missed this in the drafts but why is crown spread always rounded down? That seems really weak after all the work to get a real number from a projected shape. If anything, crown spread should be rounded up to the nearest whole spread number if fractions are not to be considered.

Great work!

Will
Will Blozan

Has Liked: 1558 times
Has Been Liked: 440 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby dbhguru » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:37 pm

Will,

On crown spread being rounded down, I confess that I yielded to the majority. I think the general thinking was that crown spread is the weakest of the three measurements and that is how the group chose to deal with it. My preference was for regular rounding. We can certainly revisit the issue in the coming months. As we begin meeting as the National Cadre, I imagine there will be a continual stream of improvements. A new day has truly dawned.

But who among Cadre members will be the one to think up new bad tree riddles? Mine have become so bad that I dare not offer any more. BTW, the answer to the riddle about which tree species can help us be sanitary in the woods when going number one is  ................  PECAN! Of course, the emphasis must be on the first syllable and the "A" in CAN must be short. None of this hoity toity PIKAHN.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
Matt Markworth
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby Larry Tucei » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:01 pm

Bob-  Great times ahead. Looking forward to the new year of tree measurements with all involved!!!  When we have the Durango meeting lets only have one day of presentations. I want you to help me with volume meaurement I'm ok with everything else. I need to buy a Monocular. I pulled this off Wikipedia-- A combination of a monocular w/reticle, laser rangefinder, and a clinometer [1][2] can be used to do go from simple diameters to a full measure of trunk volume. A monocular w/reticle is a small telescope with an internal scale visible through the glass. The monocular is mounted on a tripod and the trunk of the tree is sighted through the monocular. The width of the trunk is measured as so many units of the reticle scale. The height above, or distance below, instrument and distance of the target point is measured using the laser rangefinder and clinometer. The distance is measured to the center (side) of the tree. With the distance known, the diameter of the tree measured expressed as units of the reticle scale, and an optical scaling factor for the monocular w/reticle, provided by the diameter of the tree at that point can be calculated:

Diameter= (Reticle scale) X (distance to target) ÷ (optical factor)
Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 699 times
Has Been Liked: 588 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby dbhguru » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Larry,

Certainly. We'll cover measuring diameter at a distance using the monocular. It is pretty easy to get the diameters. Computing volume requires a spreadsheet, which I'll supply. The method is for use primarily when you can't get to the trunk.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#15)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby dbhguru » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:17 pm

NTS,

The National Cadre is putting together a list of solved problems for tree measuring training. We want to cover all our bases. The attachment presents 18 solved problems in the Intermediate class. If anybody can think of a practical problem of this genre that needs to be included, please state the problem and we'll consider it for inclusion. Thanks in advance.

Bob
Attachments
Intermediate Problem Set for Tree Measurers.doc
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#16)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby Don » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:52 am

In fact, Bob's not getting a lot of mail (and he loves to hear, "You've got mail"), and if you've any thoughts at all on this most recent problem set, please do comment!

Myself, I found them challenging...and hope that we've found the right blend of challenge and skill assessment.
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 228 times
Print view this post

#17)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby DAKennedy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:58 pm

Bob,

Just out of curiosity, are the AFA, LTI and NTS doing this again next year, and will one class be a little bit closer to the West Coast?  Also, is there an age requirement for the class?

Duncan
Last edited by DAKennedy on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan Kennedy
Student, Feather River College; Environmental Studies dept.
Young Tree Measurer.
http://sierracountybigtrees.wordpress.com/
DAKennedy

Has Liked: 53 times
Has Been Liked: 64 times
Print view this post

#18)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby dbhguru » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Duncan,

There will be several American Forests tree-measuring workshops in 2016. One will be at Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH. A second will probably be south-central Ohio. We'd like to do on on the West Coast, but we need a sponsor to provide the infrastructure. So far we have no sponsors, but that doesn't close the door. We should put out some feelers. Any ideas?

We have no age limitations for attending workshops. We'll have to check with AF headquarters in Washington on age limitations on membership in the Cadre, itself, and get back to you.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#19)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby DAKennedy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:13 am

The only place that really comes to mind as a good place for one is Bend, OR.  It is only a day's drive from most of Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Northern Nevada, Northern Utah and Idaho.  It also is in a place with good access to old-ish growth stands in the surrounding area for tree measurers who are bored and want to look around a bit, as well as the renowned La Pine Giant about 15 minutes to the south.  I'll think of some other places that may be good for holding one of the classes.  The nearest city to me is Reno, NV.

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Young Tree Measurer.
DAKennedy

Print view this post

#20)  Re: Update on American Forests Big Tree Program

Postby DAKennedy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:39 pm

Any updates on the Big Tree Program and the National Cadre after the last post?  The only thing I've heard about the Cadre since then is that Zane Moore is a full member now, and I'm wondering if there have been any plans made after the last post, especially about West Coast Cadre workshops.

My mother also had another question: what does it take to "sponsor" one of the workshops?  How much does it cost?  I have no idea what thoughts she has, but knowing my mom they are bound to be some very useful ideas.

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Young Tree Measurer.
DAKennedy

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry