Who's On Board?

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Who's On Board?

Post by dbhguru » Mon May 05, 2014 10:51 am

Hi Dendromorphometrists,

The American Forests Measuring Guidelines Work Group (AFMGWG) presses on. Don and I are completing our webinar PowerPoints scheduled for May 20, 27, and June 3rd. We're also perfecting the measuring guidelines toward an inclusive handbook, per AF's latest direction.

The idea of forming a National Cadre of accomplished measurers who can be called upon by the American Forests Big Tree Program Coordinator is still alive. But it remains a concept. Later in the year we'll need to move forward to actually establish the Cadre, and that calls for some kind of certification, although not all tree-measuring NTS members would need to go through a formal process. Some would be grandfathered in, so to speak. There would be a National Cadre guidebook, and all members would need to be familiar with the material in it. Cadre members would be expected to be at the top of the pecking order.

Heretofore, Don and I have assumed that the Native Tree Society would be a major source of National Cadre recruits, but we're forced to acknowledge that we really don't know how much actual interest in the Cadre there is within NTS. We've posted a number of updates on the activities of AFMGWG and asked for input, e.g. photographs, on topics, but the lack of response is starting us to wonder. Is there sufficient interest among members for us to push the idea of a more formal AF-NTS partnership? Do we need to back off?

I know that some of you have previously expressed interest, and are on board, but since the Cadre would be purely volunteer, we also realize that time commitments could be a problem. After all, the vast majority of you are not retired, as is the case for Don and me. We do understand that. We'd appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

pdbrandt

Re: Who's On Board?

Post by pdbrandt » Mon May 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi Don,

I am very interested in helping with this effort. I think the NTS-AF collaboration is a natural fit. I have the required (entry level) gear and the passion which I imagine are the two biggest hurdles. I know there are many eminently qualified ENTS in the western half of my state, and if I can be of help in the central piedmont of NC I am more than willing. I can't promise that I could be available at the drop of a hat, but I have a lot of experience stretching family vacations and work trips to include tree hunting. How much time or mileage do you suspect will be required of this volunteer position?
Patrick

guymeilleur

Post by guymeilleur » Mon May 05, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm an hour Se of Patrick, with a more flexible schedule but a need to brush up on measuring heights from the ground, as I favor doing tape drops from the top.

Central NC is covered! heres the AF report

The MGWG has been successful in resolving many concerns
for the national program and are continuing to tackle issues
that have challenged the program for many years. So far the
group has completed or made progress on:
• Creating a glossary of common forestry terms and tree
definitions used by the program. The glossary will be an
evolving list that incorporates new definitions needed
for the national program.
• Adding to the nomination form to screen the process of
potential national champions:
– We are adding a field to indicate if a tree is single stem or
multiple stem.
– A new field will be added to indicate a nominator’s status
in relation to a state program. This will help American
Forests identify volunteers and certifiers who are active
with the national program.
• Ruling on which parts of a tree will be included for the
measurement of a national champion tree. All parts of a
tree, included dead parts of a tree’s canopy will continue
to be recognized for the register.
• Updating guidelines and measuring techniques with the
equipment needed to maximize accuracy for the public,
state and national levels for height, crown spread and
circumference for single trunks.
Guy Meilleur, ISA Board-Certified Master Arborist, www.historictreecare.com

Managing trees for size, longevity, and benefits

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Tue May 06, 2014 7:24 am

Bob, Don:
I will participate. I would like to include a WV state forester or two that i work with in the training if possible.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue May 06, 2014 8:40 am

Patrick and Guy,

Thanks for responding. Being part of the Cadre will not commit any one beyond what they can handle. However, each Cadre member will need to be proficient in the prescribed measurement methods and tools. Tape drops are an exception since many if not most Cadre members will likely not be arborists or recreational tree climbers. Those who are will be especially valuable, but actual climbs should seldom be necessary. I would expect that climbs would occur mainly for very high profile cases.

Don and I are still thinking through the ground-based methods for girth, height, and crown-spread that Cadre members must know. I'll soon list what we have on the Cadre plate and get reactions from the rest of you.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:56 am

Hi Bob and Don,

I don't know what the possibility is for recruiting national cadre from the get-go, but I think there is enough interest among recreational climbers that it would be worthwhile to start publicizing opportunities whenever they present. There are TCI members (Patrick included!) who are qualified and willing to start helping out right now; there are others who have taken NTS measurement training at the TCI Rendezvous in 2013 who will want to get involved. And then there are the others who couldn't get to the Rendezvous and/or have expressed willingness to participate. I am anxious to start building on the foundation we laid at Simpsonwood.

You guys are doing EXTRAORDINARY work and deserve a standing ovation.

patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Bob- It would be my pleasure to participate as I have said in an earlier posting. Exciting times at NTS, it is now within our reach to help verify or correct measurements on the National Tree Listing. Thanks to you and others for your tireless efforts. We anxiously await the guide book. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue May 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Larry, Turner, Patty,

Thanks. Larry and Turner, I knew you two were on board, but I appreciate your reconfirming it. Turner, sure, whoever you want on board is fine with us. We trust your judgment.

Patty, yes, as we get a little further along, I hope TCI will be a steady source of recruits.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Tue May 06, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm in Bob, thanks for pushing this forward.
-Andrew

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Wed May 07, 2014 7:04 am

Bob,

I'm in too. Looking forward to the day when we aren't stepping on toes!

Doug

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”