More exotic tools

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

More exotic tools

Post by dbhguru » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:06 am

Ents,

I recently got good news from Dr. Anthony D'Amato, Director of the Forestry Program which is part of the Rubenstein School for Environment and Natural Resources at the University of Vermont. They will be the collector and keeper of the tree measuring and carbon model tools that I've been developing over the years. Tony has dubbed it "Leverett's Library." I'm flattered and honored.

The latest tool to be added is the coding into Excel of a model developed at the Southeastern Forest Service Research Station in Asheville, NC. The model is explained in rp-282.pdf, dated 1991. The model provides three basic capabilities: (1) estimation of inside diameter of a tree trunk at a specified height above the base, (2) estimation of height above the base where a trunk reaches a specified inside diameter, and (3) the inside diameter trunk volume between two specified heights. Inside diameter means just wood, no bark. Of course, this traditionally was the commercial part of the tree.

The attached Excel workbook implements the model. It was a bear to create, and if you look at the worksheets inside the workbook, you'll see why. Eventually, I hope to have more advanced set of compatible tools to better predict trunk volume for many species, but for the present, outside our direct measurements, FIA-COLE is our best tool. I've now adapted the original tool, biomSlctSpp.xls, to fit 43 species of trees. I have a few more species to go.

I realize that this modeling stuff understandably goes beyond the level of interest of most of you, but I've always believed that NTS has a legitimate voice (and commanding in some cases) in tree-measuring. Will Blozan's past climbing and direct modeling, our many excellent analytical tools, the BBS, designed by Ed Frank and now managed by Michael Taylor, Michaels' sharing of his many incredible tall tree discoveries, and now Brian Beduhn's pushing Rucker Indexing to unimagined heights gives us a continuing solid role and voice. The spinoffs continue. the way of things, Don Bertolette's and my roles in American Forests is an outgrowth of NTS tree-measuring prowess.

People come on and in time leave the BBS, but the mission remains. Let's keep the ball rolling, folks.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Re: More exotic tools

Post by dbhguru » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:09 am

The attachment didn't stay attached. It is too large. I'll see about splitting it up on a future post.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”