Edward Frank andMy Future with the NTS

Information about the Native Tree Society and its chapters, including: the Eastern Native Tree Society and the Western Native Tree Society.
edfrank

Edward Frank andMy Future with the NTS

Post by edfrank » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:36 pm

My Future in the Native Tree Society

I started with the Eastern Native Tree Society by attending an event at Cook Forest in 2003. There I met Colby Rucker, Bob Leveret, Will Blozan, and many other early members of the group. I had previously met Dale Luthringer as I visited Cook Forest State Park many times before. Shortly thereafter I took over as the new webmaster of the group. I wanted to put a better face on the organization on the web from their initial small website. I orchestrated the move of the discussion list from the original forum to Topica, to Google Groups, and finally to the present format as the Native Tree Society BBS. I maintain the Facebook Group for the organization. I wrote the five articles on Wikipedia that talk about how to measure trees. I have been very active in the organization for a dozen years.

The Native Tree Society was always an interest group. It was an association of people who shared a mutual interest and love of trees and forests. Today that is still true. One of the goals, driven relentlessly by Bob Leverett and a handful of others was to bring some credibility and accuracy to published tree measurements. That is still a goal of the group. We are pushing the boundaries and developing new methodologies to better access the size and role of trees and out forests. Over the past year and a half, Bob Leverett and Don Bertolette as NTS representatives (Will Blozan was recently added into the mix) have been working with American Forests to develop better criteria and measurement standards for their Championship Tree Program. Once implemented then we will have a national organization with a publicly accessible database of the biggest trees of each species in the country, with real accurate measurements. This is a major step forward for tree research and a coup for the Native Tree Society. NTS is still a valuable organization driven to better understand what we are seeing in the forests through accurate measurements, documentation, and supporting scientific research. The future could not be brighter for the group.

As for myself. I will continue to be a part of the organization, but want to take a smaller role in the proceedings. My mother passed away this past December. I had spent the last several years taking care of her, 24/7. There are things I want to do and places I want to visit outside of my tree interests and I want to pursue them while I am young enough and healthy enough to do so. This summer I will be taking a 3 month+ trip around the country visiting various parks, natural areas, and sites of interest. I will not be able to take a daily role in the BBS and Facebook group during this time. The Facebook Group is taken care of pretty much. Chris Budesa administrates it as much as I do, adding members and bouncing spammers. As for the BBS I will need someone to take my place during the time I am gone. I have not been posting much, but I visit the BBS almost every day. I manually approve every member who asks to join, I delete spam and ban spammers, I moderate posts, so I am active on the BBS. It isn't that great of a burden (in most cases), but it is something that cannot be put off for 100 plus days while I am gone.

I need someone to take over moderating the BBS over the summer for me. I will show them what they need to do, and let them go at it. After the trip I will share the task of moderation. In the long term I would like to phase out my participation. I am looking for someone to take over the website – essentially an archive at this point. I want someone to bring new life into the website and BBS. An example is Matt Markworth’s tree of the week series – this is the type of stuff we need to do. Matt are you interested in being the BBS moderator while I am gone this summer?
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Re: Edward Frank andMy Future with the NTS

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi Ed- You have always been a valuable part of NTS and have done an outstanding job as Webmaster and tree enthusiast. You have inspired me in several ways and helped me many times. I can't thank you enough for all you've done for me and NTS. Ed you will always be a part of this great organization no matter where you go or what you do. I know exactly what you mean and want you to enjoy your new horizons. I look forward to you posting some of your new adventures. If ever you are down south do not hesitate to look me up. Your friend in Trees- Larry- AKA LOL

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:44 pm

My condolences on the passing of your mother. Take a good camera and enjoy your trip. If you hiked as much as I did when I went out west for two months, you'll probably enjoy being in the best shape of your life.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Ed,

As I think everyone knows, my assessment of your role in NTS is that it has been indispensable. Nobody has been more active or a better representative of what we stand for and wish to accomplish than have you. Talk about above and beyond the call of duty. I was aware of the long period of care you so faithfully gave to your mother and was ever so grateful when you continued to run the BBS.

Hopefully, someone will come forward as a volunteer to fill in while you are traveling this summer. I'll be traveling also for all of June and July. However, if nobody comes forward, I will volunteer. My time is going to increasingly be occupied with the National Cadre and the MGWG, but I'll squeeze in the time if nobody agrees to fill in. In terms of a comment you made, you are so right. The future of NTS has never been brighter. It is the crucible from which ideas, methods, and measurements flow. To my knowledge there is nothing out there match it in cyberspace, and that is as much your doing as anyone. Wherever this goes, Ed, you will always be part of NTS. Your place is permanent.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:15 pm

edfrank wrote:I need someone to take over moderating the BBS over the summer for me. I will show them what they need to do, and let them go at it. After the trip I will share the task of moderation. In the long term I would like to phase out my participation. I am looking for someone to take over the website – essentially an archive at this point. I want someone to bring new life into the website and BBS. An example is Matt Markworth’s tree of the week series – this is the type of stuff we need to do. Matt are you interested in being the BBS moderator while I am gone this summer?
Ed,

Yes, I can definitely help by being a moderator. I'll send you an email to get the conversation started.

Also, I'm very much looking forward to your Facebook posts and any other materials that come out of your expedition this summer!

Matt

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:53 pm

Ed,

I know you have a passion for caves. Make sure you visit the two "lungs" of the world, Jewel and Wind Cave in the Black Hills region, if you haven't already done so. Not only are they among the oldest caves in the world, but they are the third and sixth longest in the world at 173 and 143 miles long respectively. But what is truly mind boggling is that the known cave only accounts for 2.5% of the air flowing in and out of the cave. That translates to a potential cave that is 7,000 miles long! That means there is still 6,800 miles of underground wilderness for you to explore while you still can. (https://www.facebook.com/JewelCaveNPS/p ... 2797203764). Also check out the 4,000 old bristlecones of the white mountains of California. You have to go late summer early fall after snow melt at 10,000 ft elevation (you can drive up by dirt road). The view of the Sierra Nevada escarpment and Owens valley below is spectacular. Enjoy your trip out west and thanks for being such a great webmaster.

Stefan R.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Stefan,

I have been to Wind Cave nad Jewel Cave several times before and am going again on this trip. I am also going to visit the btistlecone pine groves in the White Mountains of CA, and on Wheeler Peak, NV.

Rf
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:20 pm

edfrank wrote:Stefan,

I have been to Wind Cave nad Jewel Cave several times before and am going again on this trip. I am also going to visit the btistlecone pine groves in the White Mountains of CA, and on Wheeler Peak, NV.

Rf
I missed the Wheeler peak bristlecones, but I did visit the nearby Lehman Cave within the same park. It has the densest "rock forest" of speleothems I've ever seen.

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Have a great trip out west!
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Wheeler peak is really a gem, crowds aren't bad either
_MG_4830.jpg
_MG_4850.jpg
_MG_4832.jpg
_MG_4809.jpg
_MG_4795.jpg
_MG_4746.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.