NTS Organizational Update

Information about the Native Tree Society organization itself http://www.nativetreesociety.org including meetings, events, and operations.

#1)  NTS Organizational Update

Postby dbhguru » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:11 pm

NTS,

As may of you know, for several years, we have been treating NTS as an arm of Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest (FMTSF), a 501c3 organization. The reason for this was if we wanted to raise money for a cause or project, FMTSF gave us an organizational umbrella. The organizational affiliation also served us in projects between NTS and the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway. However, beyond those connections, there has never proven a long term need for the NTS-FMTSF affiliation. We accomplish our goals as NTS through volunteer efforts. Additionally, the FMTSF connection seems odd, since the mission of FMTSF is local to Massachusetts. As a consequence, NTS will no longer be organizationally connected to FMTSF. Ed has removed the references to FMTSF from the website and BBS.

We began as an Internet interest group and it is my I hope that we will remain so. If we absolutely need to establish ourselves as a separate not-for-profit group, we can pursue that course. Several among us favor NTS as a not-for-profit. But speaking only for myself, I have not seen a need to move in that direction. What drives us is our passion for trees. By utilizing the Internet, we are able to explore and share our tree mission and connections without the encumbrances of a formal not-for-profit organization with its required legal apparatus, an apparatus that eventually defines the organization as more inside than outside. I vote to keep the state and federal government out of NTS. BTW, I encourage anyone who hasn't done so to look at the federal rules and regulations governing not-for-profits?  

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
edfrank
dbhguru

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 802 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: NTS Organizational Update

Postby Joe » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Joe-
Really!?!?
-Don

[quote="dbhguru"]I vote to keep the state and federal government out of NTS.  

Bob[/quote]

great perspective-now, if only I could get them out of all forestry! they add nothing, in my opinion, at GREAT expense to the taxpayers...
Joe
Joe

Has Been Liked: 114 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: NTS Organizational Update

Postby Don » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Joe-
I decided to wait a month before responding to your post.  I'm reminded of the old cartoon featuring Rick O'Shay and Hipshot Percussion...I didn't want to 'shoot from the hip', without thinking.
I agree with the idea of keeping the state and federal government out of NTS, in the context of the rules, regulations, laws and legislation of bureaucracies that attend to non-profit, for-profit, and other variations of organizational entities. I can think of a number of organizations that I'm apart of that I advocate for no status that requires state or federal involvement.
But just to see if I can get you to shoot from the hip', I'd go so far as to say that the best thing that could happen to the forests of New England would be to have them included in a network of National Forests and National Parks, where Core relatively undisturbed areas that were surrounded by, or connected by protected Corridors to other Core areas would receive the protection of federal ownership.  And those areas that had shown a good response to best management practices (such as those you espouse), be designated for continued forest management (insofar as they could be managed into perpetuity in a sustained yield fashion).  With VERY active public input into a NEPA process.

: > }
Don

Joe wrote:Joe-
Really!?!?
-Don

dbhguru wrote:I vote to keep the state and federal government out of NTS.  

Bob

great perspective-now, if only I could get them out of all forestry! they add nothing, in my opinion, at GREAT expense to the taxpayers...
Joe
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 11 times
Has Been Liked: 126 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: NTS Organizational Update

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:58 am

Don, there is a movement on to turn a lot of Maine into a national park and a vast amount of resistance. There is also now, a strange development- discussion of a new national forest in the northern Berkshire area to include not only the existing state forests but a lot of private land too. The idea is to extend the Geen Mt. National Forest southerly into Mass. Private land owners would get conservation restrictions; they'd have to allow hiking, hunting, etc. The private owners would volunteer for this. I presume, over time, the feds would then make an effort to buy out these private properties.

My comment before wasn't against national parks and forests- it's just that when it comes to private forestry, I wish all gov. would leave us alone. With 40 years experience, it's my opinon that all the agencies haven't added much to mgt. of private lands, at great expense- with all their "programs", added paper work, non effective "outreach" and excessive oversight when it comes to protecting wetlands and rare species. But, I'd need to write a book to elaborate- much of which Bob Leverett has heard since I usually waste his time by cc'ing my "rants" against the establishment to him.
Joe

Has Been Liked: 114 times
Print view this post

Return to Native Tree Society