New Books Dec. 2011

Discussions of books, published articles, and websites related to trees and forests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tomhoward

New Books Dec. 2011

Post by tomhoward » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:07 pm

NTS,

I have 2 more books out on Amazon Kindle. The first book, The Treasure of Norumbega, is a young people's novel about Maine in the 17th Century. The second book, Beneath the Big Oaks, is a collection of poems and short stories.

The Treasure of Norumbega Description:

Three young people, Mary Lynne Elbridge, age eight, Penelope Elbridge, age fourteen, and Will Overstreet, age twelve, have to leave their comfortable lives in Bristol, England, to settle in the wilderness colony of Pemaquid, Maine in 1632. They do not wish to leave, but they must obey their parents.
At Pemaquid a trader named Dixey Bull, who claims to be a pirate, gives Mary Lynne a map saying that the lost treasure of Norumbega can be found on an island in a lake north of Pemaquid. This is the same island on which an early explorer described a forest of pines taller than any trees yet seen in the world. This forest is the only thing in the New World that Penelope wants to see. No treasure is found on the island.
There is trouble east of Pemaquid when the French seize the Plymouth Colony trading house at Penobscot and plunder Bull’s vessel. Bull blames Abraham Shurt, leader of the Pemaquid Colony, for plotting with the French as Pemaquid and Plymouth are rivals for the lucrative fur trade on the Maine coast.
Mary Lynne, who craves excitement, a break from the harsh routine of frontier life, gets more than she bargains for when Bull attacks Pemaquid and takes her captive. She thinks life as a pirate will be fun but one of the pirates tries to kill her. She flees into the wilderness near Pemaquid and gets lost in a blizzard.
The local Indian chief Samoset rescues her and takes her to a new trading house that the Pemaquid Colony has built on the lake of giant pines. The ordeal in the snowy wilderness causes Mary Lynne to fall ill. She nearly dies but the care given her by Penelope and Will (who are protecting the remote trading house after Bull’s raid) nurses Mary Lynne back to health.
When Mary Lynne has recovered and the snow has stopped, they return to Pemaquid. There is no sign of Bull, and the sea-going posse sent to capture Bull, is storm-bound in Pemaquid harbor.
During the Christmas season the Elbridge and Overstreet families find enchantment under the great pines on the island in the lake, this old growth forest and the bonds these families have forged together, the true treasure of Norumbega.
This novel is based on what really happened in 1632, a tumultuous year in Maine’s history.

Beneath the Big Oaks Description:

This is a collection of poems and short stories exploring the connection of humanity to the cosmos, a connection that has been broken by selfishness and greed.
Some of the poems are written in the personae of my fictional characters, including Justine Des Jardins de Chartres, the twenty-first century artist who is the main character of my series The Light of Titan, and Lilith, the last priestess of Atlantis.
The short stories deal with possible magical worlds in our time, time travel to the distant past, and the dark forest of seventeenth century New England.

Tom Howard

dbhguru

Re: New Books Dec. 2011

Post by dbhguru » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Tom,

Congratulations! The number of Ents authors grows.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Tom,

How about a bibliography of what you have published so far? I know you have done other novels and short stories and you have posted on some of them previously.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Ed,

My bibliography of published works is still very short. The books, Alien Rain and A Seed in the Void, that I posted about earlier this year, are all the fiction I've published so far. These works are all self-published on Amazon Kindle. In 2012 I plan to expand my publishing efforts to other formats, including Barnes and Noble Nook, hard copy, possibly Print on Demand and other formats - I'm still learning about self-publishing.

I've also done some brochures on the oak groves of North Syracuse (including the Wizard of Oak Grove brochure) designed by Robert Henry with text written by me. I also have written a few articles for local newspapers about the Wizard of Oz Oak Grove.

Tom

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:20 am

Tom,

I 'm glad to hear about both of your books. I hope that they do well.

Beth
Trees are the Answer

Return to “Books, Articles, and Internet References”