Western Gathering June-July 2010

Reports from the WNTS Rendezvous in July 2010

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Don

Western Gathering June-July 2010

Post by Don » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:11 pm

SECOND ANNUAL WNTS RENDEZVOUS, DURANGO COLORADO!!!WNTS, ENTS, and future WNTS!

With our very recent move to this BBS, this is an excellent time to follow up on an earlier invitation to the Second Annual WNTS Rendezvous! Held in Durango, Colorado, during the last week in June, it's an opportunity to break out of the winter slows, and get out in some fine big tree country. Last years Rendezvous featured several field trips to nearby locales with a surprisingly fine array of big trees, several of which were candidates for their species maximums, and for their maximums at highest elevations. One of our forum members, Laura Stransky, has been involved with old-growth forest ecosystems in the San Juan National Forest, and has an excellent grasp of what and where they are. Count on field trips to the forests of SW Colorado, this won't be a classroom-bound series of events.

So if you've had a hankering for checking out Colorado's mountains, clear air, the fresh scents and sounds of breezes blowing through the pines, firs and spruces, then put aside a week and come join us!

The particulars?
When: June 28th (Monday) through July 1st (Thursday)

Where: Durango, Colorado

Lodging: We are reserving a block of rooms at Fort Lewis College dorms, for those who'd like to economize. The rates, depending on accomodation needs run from $16 dollars to $72, for single dorm rooms to suites and apartments. For specifics, visit http://www.fortlewis.edu/visitors_paren ... facil.aspx
For camping opportunities, visit: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/sanjuan/
For those who wish more commercial lodging, an internet search will yield a broad selection, but don't delay too long, as summer is nearing (finally!). Visit http://www.durango.com
Local Attractions: Visit to Great Sand Dunes National Park and Sangre De Cristos ~~Ride on Durango-Silverton Scenic Railway ~~Visit to area of Rocky Mountain bristlecone pines ~~Visit to Mesa Verde National Park ~~Visit to Hovenweep National Monument ~~Visit to red rock country of southwestern Utah ~~Campout in La Plata canyon ~~Hike on Continental Divide at Wolf Creek Pass ~~Other events as organized by Laura Stranski and other Durango friends.
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Beth

Re: SECOND ANNUAL WNTS RENDEZVOUS, DURANGO COLORADO!!!

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:05 am

Don and others,

I am sorry but I am not going to be able to make it this year either as I am working that week. Everyone have a great time.

Beth
Trees are the Answer

Don

Post by Don » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Beth-
Like Tom Bodell's often wont to say, "We'll keep a light on for ya", should you're work schedule change!
Beth wrote:Don and others,

I am sorry but I am not going to be able to make it this year either as I am working that week. Everyone have a great time.

Beth
Science Center

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:12 am

WNTS,

A guaranteed side trip during the event is a visit to the tallest Rocky Mountain ponderosa pine in the La Plata area. It is 162 feet in height. Maybe we can break the record. There are a few others in the 150-foot class.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

DonCBragg

Post by DonCBragg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Believe it or not, I am plodding along with the next issue of the Bulletin of the ENTS. Don, do you or Bob have a more definite schedule of the WNTS Rendezvous events yet, including speakers? I'd like to post something a little more detailed in the Bulletin. Also, I'm going to need to provide more programmatic information to my boss regarding the event to ensure he approves my travel...

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Don,

Subject to the approval of the others. I see our objective as 4-fold:

(1) Profile the principal conifers growing in the La Plata and other sub-ranges of the San Juans in terms of their growth achievement and maximum potential for altitudes of 8,000 to 11,000 feet. As a minimum, we'll track ponderosa pine, Douglas fir, Colorado blue spruce, Englemann spruce, and white fir

(2) Review the San Juan NF's old growth identification and mapping methodology

(3) Develop a trunk volume modeling methodology for old growth forms

(4) Refine ENTS field measuring techniques.

We will have field trips to Hermosa ,La Plata, and La Piedre canyons, and Coal Bank, Molas, and Wolf Creek passes. We will also visit the drier mountain range southeast of Durango.

Several evenings will be devoted to PowerPoint presentations on topics yet to be announced. Don, you certainly can present on any topic you choose. Would it help if some of the rest of us announced topics to give more form to the event?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

DonCBragg

Post by DonCBragg » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Let me think on this one a bit... I'd like to do something related to the ease of untrained (at least non-sine height trained) individuals picking up the sine method and using it in an efficient manner... but I haven't figured out the details yet. I'm in Atlanta, Georgia for some training this week, and I'll try to think of ways to make this happen.

Don Bragg

Don

Post by Don » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:49 am

Don/Bob-
This would fit my thought that ENTS measuring guidelines needs to include varying levels of equipment/skills, to reflect the continuum of user's skills/equipment. The levels of equipment/skills need to be included in say initial trip reports, nomination requests, and finally, the ones for the record book. In the context of Don's scenario, it would be to our advantage to have those of limited means but sincere interest provide us with the most accurate measurements they're capable of, as even clinometers can be outside of some members means...
-Don Bertolette
DonCBragg wrote:Let me think on this one a bit... I'd like to do something related to the ease of untrained (at least non-sine height trained) individuals picking up the sine method and using it in an efficient manner... but I haven't figured out the details yet. I'm in Atlanta, Georgia for some training this week, and I'll try to think of ways to make this happen.

Don Bragg
Science Center

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:48 pm

Don,

I support the idea of people of limited means participate in tree measuring. The one condition I would impose on height measurements is that those folks not using sine-based mathematics clearly explain their method and their height submissions be listed as provisional. I think that is in keeping with your thinking.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 am

Laura,

With respect to the upcoming WNTS rendezvous, have you thought about places to go? I hope we can hit some new places. I am sure that the La Platas offer many possibilities. I saw many potential sites up La Plata Canyon. How would we manage the logistics of a trip up that canyon?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “WNTS Rendezvous July 2010”