Bonsai at National Arboretum

Discussions of bonsai trees and growing bonsai trees.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Devin

Bonsai at National Arboretum

Post by Devin » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:00 pm

The National Arboretum located in Washington DC is one of the best in the country. Some of the gardens/collections include: Asian Collections, Azalea Collections
Dogwood Collections, Fern Valley, Friendship Garden, Gotelli Dwarf and Slow Growing Conifer Collection, Holly and Magnolia Collections, National Bonsai & Penjing Museum, National Boxwood Collection, National Grove of State Trees, National Herb Garden, and Perennial Collections. Anytime of year is good but the azalea gardens in spring is immaculate.

Here is the website
http://www.usna.usda.gov/
Attachments
coast redwood
coast redwood
juniper
juniper
elm
elm
sprouty
sprouty
snaggy
snaggy
"training since 1625"
"training since 1625"
azalea
azalea
bald cypress
bald cypress

Rand

Re: Bonsai at National Arboretum

Post by Rand » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Jeez, that azalea is gorgeous.

Any idea what the plastic wrap on the juniper is for?

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:13 pm

That arboretum must be the one that I can't get out of my mind because--- I've been there in the early '70s but couldn't recall where it is- that is, the bonsai collection. As I vaguely recall, didn't much of it come from Japan? I very vaguely recall, somewhere, seeing a world class bonsai collection- and I thought, or hallucinated that it was given to America by Japan, having once been part of the Imperial Collection. Or am I getting demented?
Joe

Devin

Post by Devin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Rand- whoa good eye, I did not notice that. My guess would be a fresh bud graft and a bag over it to prevent desiccation.

Joe- No man your not demented you got it right. Its off of New York Ave in northeast dc. A lot of people get it confused with the botanical gardens next to the capitol. Its way better. Can spend days in there

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Wow those are amazing!!!! Love the Bald Cypress!

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Devin Bily wrote:Rand- whoa good eye, I did not notice that. My guess would be a fresh bud graft and a bag over it to prevent desiccation.
I just had to admire all those intricate gnarled branches close up. I guess bud grafting is how they 'undo' a pruned branch?

Return to “Bonsai Trees”