400 -Year-Old Bonsai Survived Hiroshima Bombing

Discussions of bonsai trees and growing bonsai trees.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYPeNcnyZ6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYPeNcnyZ6g

Uploaded by VOAvideo on Aug 3, 2010

Sixty five years ago , during World War II, a B-29 bomber known as the "Enola Gay" dropped the first atomic bomb over the city of Hiroshima, Japan, killing hundreds of thousands of people. Among the survivors was a small tree, a Bonsai, which ended up in the United States as part of a national gift from Japan. The Bonsai, now 400 years old, is still alive, and forms part of one of the most striking collections in the U.S. capital. Producer Zulima Palacio has the story.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: 400 -Year-Old Bonsai Survived Hiroshima Bombing

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:00 pm

My uncle who owned a nursery in Florida was quite good at bonsai. He had some amazing trees that he had started as bonsai in the 1940s. I'm not sure if his son, who inherited the business, kept them up. Uncle Ersley had some amazing stuff--mainly at this coastal nursery near Sebastian's Inlet in Florida. He had banana trees that he grew in the greenhouse. He was really good at grafting. One of his great prides was a large tree that was half orange/half grapefruit. He would use that one to show off to his many clients. All of that stuff went away when he sold the coastal nursery and moved all of the business to his outfit in Lake Mary, Florida. I would assume all of his great trees were bulldozed to make room for houses.

Return to “Bonsai Trees”