Foresters target biomass burner with growing petition

Discussions related to Biomass Energy Production.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Foresters target biomass burner with growing petition

Post by Lucas » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:05 pm

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia ... g-petition

"biomass boiler to produce electricity at an efficiency of 21.5 per cent."

A biomass revolt.
Not good reason it seems.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Lucas

Re: Foresters target biomass burner with growing petition

Post by Lucas » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Click on image to see its original size

Sums it up!
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

wisconsitom

Post by wisconsitom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Indeed, it appears to be yet another way to "greenwash" power production. I doubt if I'd have anyone here argue against this point, but are not green plants already the ultimate in solar energy collection? Yes, that is a rhetorical question and one which I already know the answer to.

I believe there is a growing concern too that some European biomass boilers are upping the demand...way up...for chipped pines from the southern US. I may have a detail or two turned around there, but I don't think so. Pretty sure that's another faux ecological thing going on right now.

Nice cartoon!

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:08 am

I got caught up in the "biomass wars" here in Mass. This state is critical in the worldwide debate because it came up with the Manomet Report which dissed biomass for electric power, though offered moderate support for biomass for thermal power.

Be aware those of you who want to remain open minded. This is an extremely complicated subject. It's way to easy to simply dismiss biomass for energy. Biomass has some positive and negative considerations for energy- just like every other form of energy production. Those who think the answer is solar and wind ignore the negatives associated with those energy systems.

I've seen all sides of these debates. Mass. has also had major wars over solar and wind. A huge solar farm was built next to my neighborhood- so I know all about it- the positive and the negative. Some huge wind turbines have also been built in this state- close to homes and driving people crazy. I'm happy to discuss all these forms of energy- except with people who blindly, automatically diss one form or the other while thinking another form is the perfect answer.

The best answer is for everyone to use much less energy. Conservation of energy is the cheapest and smartest solution in the near term. In the long term, the answer is fusion!
Joe

Return to “Biomass”