Update on Tall Trees Threatened By Rim Fire

Discussions related to Biomass Energy Production.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Bart Bouricius

Update on Tall Trees Threatened By Rim Fire

Post by Bart Bouricius » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:42 am

Joe wrote:
I know that in the west there is a controversy over whether or not to step up thinning projects in the forests most susceptibel to fire. Some argue that it won't help any and some think it will. Of course this shouldn't be done in National Parks which should be left alone. There are a lot of biomass facilities nationwide- most are controversial.

Of course if everyone played safe, we'd have fewer fires- but I don't know if that's likely. If the wood is going to burn- perhaps it's better to burn in a modern biomass facility- or not. I do believe many forests can be improved with such work- if the work is properly done- certainly much "forestry" work is poorly done. But as the climate warms up and fires become larger and more common- it may just be necessary to use the wood for useful energy- not just going up in smoke.
Joe
My thinking is that this thread is best left to updates and results of the rim fire and that though your thoughts on Biomass burning have some relevance, I think it would inadvertantly become a hijcking of the subject if we inject a debate about woody biomass burning in general into this particular thread. I have very different views on biomass burning, and would be happy to discuss them in a new poste specific to that if you are interested.

Joe

Re: Update on Tall Trees Threatened By Rim Fire

Post by Joe » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:58 am

Bart Bouricius wrote:My thinking is that this thread is best left to updates and results of the rim fire and that though your thoughts on Biomass burning have some relevance, I think it would inadvertantly become a hijcking of the subject if we inject a debate about woody biomass burning in general into this particular thread. I have very different views on biomass burning, and would be happy to discuss them in a new poste specific to that if you are interested.
fair enough- perhaps Ed Frank could move my comment and your reply to a better place and we could go from there.
Joe

Bart Bouricius

Re: Update on Tall Trees Threatened By Rim Fire

Post by Bart Bouricius » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:31 pm

Sounds quite reasonable Joe.

Return to “Biomass”