The Scary Shrub

Discussions of arboriculture and landscape design and of shrub and tree varieties appropriate for different areas.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

The Scary Shrub

Post by Jenny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:54 pm

fullsizeoutput_51d0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_51c8.jpeg
HI!

Just jumping right back in...

Look at this thing! Is it Forsythia? What do I do??? It's on a neighbor's property by about 1 foot and they don't prune and said I can if I want.

When is the best time to start the Spring 2018 Course "ENTS Guided Tree and Shrub Pruning"?

Some Lilac trees/bushes need urgent attention and I don't want to kill them.
I need to care for a very healthy Burning Bush, but I'm pretty sure that just be looking at it, I'm hastening its death.
And there's a tragic little Magnolia too.

I have every tool needed except a chainsaw (I can barely handle the weed whacker. Don't even talk about the lawn mower).

3 Norway Maples are NOT TEAM PLAYERS! They are hogging too much light. I did some desperation pruning last year to help save a sad but sweet little rhododendron looking thing. It helped!

I hope some of you all can help me out. I thought I was going to have a spectacular yard because I worked and took classes at the NY Botanical Garden. HA! HA! HA!!!!!!! The property has been so neglected. I'm clueless. Except, I learned that no amount of my amateur butchering will harm the life of a Japanese Hakuro-Nishiki Willow.

Thanks! Jennifer
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

RayA

Re: The Scary Shrub

Post by RayA » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Jennifer, if you do figure out how to kill a forsythia or burning bush, let me know! I've never been able to ...

Jenny

Re: The Scary Shrub

Post by Jenny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:58 pm

ha! Well, that's encouraging, actually. Thanks.
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Return to “Arboriculture and Landscaping”