sick elm?

Discussions of arboriculture and landscape design and of shrub and tree varieties appropriate for different areas.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Joe

sick elm?

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:12 am

A friend sent me this photo of an elm in western Mass. He asks if the orange stuff indicates disease.
Joe
Attachments
_MJB3790.jpg

RayA

Re: sick elm?

Post by RayA » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:03 am

Gee Joe, I don't know..... but how does he feel ??? :)

Looks like a beautiful American elm. Hard to tell if it's diseased, but it does look like there's still plenty of young twigs in the crown.
Last edited by RayA on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:08 am

Ray, I've seen that orange stuff on elms over the years but never made any effort to find out what it is. I don't think it's a threat to the tree. I always look for dieback at the top of the tree to determine that the tree is in trouble. This tree looks healthy.
Joe

RayA

Post by RayA » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:13 am

Yes, I've seen similar staining too. Can't tell from the photo if it's a fungus growing on the bark, or just a discoloration.

But what a sad thing it is that we've lost so many of these grand elms.

RayA

Post by RayA » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:16 am

Joe,

It may be "slime flux" on the bark, as described in this article ...

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yar ... s/wetwood/

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:19 am

Ray, I think that's it. I took a course in tree pathology but that was in '72 so of course I recall nothing. <grin>

thanks,
Joe

RayA

Post by RayA » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:40 am

That's ok Joe ... who needs education anymore anyway? ... we've got google !

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:48 am

RayA wrote:That's ok Joe ... who needs education anymore anyway? ... we've got google !
right, the modern day Delphic Oracle!
Joe

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:15 am

Looks more like lichen or algae growing on the bark to me. The slime flux I've seen on elms tends to be more brown, and quite prominently slimier around an obvious wound than that.

It's a shame, but elms that are that old are pretty rare in Ohio. Like that tree, they tend to be isolated in fields or yards.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:40 am

Hey Bob Leverett, my friend says the elm is on Baldwin Hill in Egremont- not far from Gt. Barrington. Have you seen this elm? If not, maybe next time you're in that area you could measure it. My friend's family owned the big Elm on Prospect St. in Lee, across from my family house, which I mentioned to you years ago and you did measure that one.

I know you can't resist the urge to measure big trees! (ha, ha)
Joe

Return to “Arboriculture and Landscaping”