Natives in the landscape

Discussions of arboriculture and landscape design and of shrub and tree varieties appropriate for different areas.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Natives in the landscape

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:00 am

One of my favorite landscape trees is a variety of redbud called "Appalachia Red", with intense, neon pink flowers. The original wild tree was found growing in Maryland.

Click on image to see its original size

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Gary Beluzo

Re: Natives in the landscape

Post by Gary Beluzo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Steve, do you know how old the cultivars generally are before they produce the first flowers?

Gary
"..powered in ecological space and evolutionary time.."

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Gary-

They are generally in the 6'-8' grade when they flower well(and when they become marketable)---I would think this would translate to 4 to 6 years from propagation as grafted cuttings on seedling rootstock.

Steve

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Steve:

I'll look for one. Are they common in the trade? I have a regular "species" redbud, and the particular one I got flowers less well than average. It may be my soil, but I think it is good. Or, as I suspect, it is just the variation within the species.

By the way, there is a half mile or so stretch of route 50, going down the west side of Cooper Mountain, about half way between romney and Winchester, that my wife and I call "Redbud Lane." the redbuds are under utility lines and make up a solid rank for just about half a mile. Mostly on the south side of the highway, but there are some on the other side. It is a spectacular display!

--Gaines

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 am

Well, this is a test. I typed in a response here last night and it didn't appear. So before I take the time to type in a new one, I want to test this to see if I am wasting time again.

--Gaines

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 am

Steve, Redbud has such a beautiful flower. I'll be on the lookout for some this week. Good photo. Larry

TN_Tree_Man

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:46 am

Steve,

Have you had much success with one of the white flowering cultivars up your way, such as Cercis canadensis 'Alba"?

Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:30 am

Steve-

Yes, white redbud is commonly grown here, and is actually considered more hardy than the species. The variety "Forest Pansy" is also popular, but seems less hardy than the species, and even less hardy than some cultivars of southern magnolia like Edith Bogue. "Oklahoma" is another nice redbud cultivar, with glossy foliage, indicating it has some Cercis reniformis is it.

Steve

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Steve,

Redbud is common here in NC and I have seen the white cultivar too. Redbud is one of my dad's favorites following just behind Flame Azalea.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Interesting, I've seen "Forest Pansy" thriving here planted at 5100 feet. They seem to do quite well around here, in general.

Return to “Arboriculture and Landscaping”