Druidry and Christianity

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Druidry and Christianity

Post by James Parton » Mon May 02, 2011 4:14 pm

by rddl1990 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:26 pm
Hey James,

I sent you a message, but I don't think it went through. I was just wondering, could you tell me a little bit about Druidism? I have recently become very interested. Does the Green Man fit in at all?
rddl1990,

For me druidry fills a niche that Christianity alone could not quite do. Most churches do not focus enough on God's creation and man's interaction with it. Druidry upholds Mother Nature and finds her sacred.

Most " traditional druids are Pagan, many incorporating Celtic gods and goddesses into their practice. Others follow different traditions including Native American. I am a Christian Druid and I incorporate God into my belief system. Christian druids are among the rarer of the neo-druid community but we do have a presence.

To simply define druidism is a little difficult since it is so customizeable to ones beliefs. Here are some things common to all druids.

1: Druids uphold and revere the natural world and believe we are part of it and not separate from it.
2: Druids revere their ancestors and their teachings.
3: Druids believe in a higher power ( Gods, Goddesses, spirits ) who influence peoples lives.
4: Druids believe in magic
5: Druids believe in cyclical time and use the " Wheel of the year " to worship and celebrate around nature's seasons.

http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=206&t=1809

http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=206&t=2238

And yes, Druids love trees and the Green Man is part of Celtic lore and some druids include the Green Man in their rituals. Many druids have their own altars, including myself.

And I invite you to check ot the New Order of Druids website and forum. You will learn much more of what a druid is here. A number of druid orders offer courses in druidry. Some, like those of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids is quite expensive and will cost well over 1000 dollars to go all the way through the druid level. The New Order of Druid's basic courses are free and very good! I know some druids who favor them over the more expensive courses. NOD does offer extra courses with a paid upgrade membership to the Dana School.

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

May druidry enlighten you and open your eyes even more to the value of the natural world and the sacredness of life.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

RyanLeClair

Roadside Hawthorn

Post by RyanLeClair » Mon May 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Thank you, James. I contacted a seed group of the OBOD and I may meet with them, depending on whether I can get around my parents ("Parents just don't understand"). But again, thank you for the info and may you fair well on your spiritual journey.

James Parton

Re: Roadside Hawthorn

Post by James Parton » Tue May 03, 2011 12:12 am

rddl1990 wrote:Thank you, James. I contacted a seed group of the OBOD and I may meet with them, depending on whether I can get around my parents ("Parents just don't understand"). But again, thank you for the info and may you fair well on your spiritual journey.

OBOD is an awesome order and a participate regularly on their Druid Grove forum. Their distance learning courses are probably awesome, but expensive. That is why I chose the New Order of Druids to take my courses. I have met only one other local druid in my area. WNC had a druid grove, in Black Mountain ( It was listed on the Druid Network ) but it has since dissolved. Except for online communication and education I pretty much practice alone.

Many people associate druids with the occult, and most are pagan, that's true, but not all. Also the media through movies and video games paints a not so good picture of the druid. And then there is so little knowledge of the ancient druids themselves. Many believe they did human sacrifices using " Wicker Man " effigies, but that has never been proven. Many scholars believe it was all anti-druid Roman propaganda. Who knows.

I keep my druidry low-key among people telling those who I only feel comfortable with. My parents know though my dad does not like the word " druid " at all. He thinks it conjures up the word " weirdo ". Mom is ok with it since I am a " Christian " druid. My brother was afraid I was going pagan. My sister has wholly supported my druidic path from the beginning. I have let only two open minded people at work know and Clay, a good friend of mine thinks it is weirder than the Masons.

Anytime you wanna chat on druidry, feel free to e-mail me or catch me on the NOD circle forums or the OBOD Druid Grove Forum.

And, good luck on your journey!
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

TN_Tree_Man

Re: Druidry and Christianity

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 am

"For me druidry fills a niche that Christianity alone could not quite do. Most churches do not focus enough on God's creation and man's interaction with it. Druidry upholds Mother Nature and finds her sacred."

"Mom is ok with it since I am a 'Christian' druid."

Exodus 20:3 "Thou shalt not have no other gods before me..."

Romans 1:18-32 (emp vs. 17) "...worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator..."

The Bible warns strongly against worshipping a plurality of gods and/or worshipping that which has been created (nature); there is only one true and living God (is that of the Bible) that alone is deserving of the worship of mankind.

The Bible teaches that one cannot be a "Christian Druid" and have a hope of heaven after this life is over.

You may want to give careful consideration to that interest in which you are pursuing.

Respectfully
Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Steve,

God is still my God and Jesus my savior. I do not worship or recognize any pagan deities. I simply recognise God as the creator and shaper of all things and Dana as the literal Earth, our home.

I have had to explain that to many people. That I am still truly Christian. Druidry just adds a greater awareness, not worship of, nature for me. With some druids, especially pagan ones that is not true. But I am a Christian Druid. God and Christ is still at the center of worship and no gods are placed before them. I also do not practice any form of magic though I do believe in magic, both natural and supernatural.

In my case, Christian Druid = Christian Naturist!
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu May 05, 2011 9:39 am

ENTS!

I am certainly not one to go Skyclad! Nude that is! ~laughing~! Maybe I should use the word " Naturalist " instead of " Naturist "!?

Seriously, Christian Druidry for me is an extension of my Christian faith with a Celtic traditional background and it highly promotes the love and care for the natural world. I love reading all the mythologies and stories but no worship of any of these characters are done by me. While I do observe the Druid holidays, many of them are nothing new and have already been Christianized long ago. Like Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Groundhog Day and May Day.

Druidry for me is another way of expressing, learning about and honoring God and the Natural World.

Druidry also promotes other good concepts like Ancestor Veneration ( Not worship, at least for me ) and learning of Celtic History.

And it's fun! And ENTS is part of it. ENTS still does what it does best. TREES!!
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu May 05, 2011 10:43 am

James,

More power to you, my friend, but lawsy, lawsy, I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole. May the force be with the both of you, i.e. you and Steve.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu May 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Bob,

I was not offended by Steve's post. I often have to clarify my views on my beliefs and still some may not agree. I have this not only with other Christians but with Pagans and atheists as well. Anytime you get people with different faiths and political affiliations together you will get differences and often conflict. Anyway...

You don't have to worry about me running through the woods naked. It ain't gonna happen!

My Methodist Pastor said he would not worry about me unless he saw me running through the forest with only blue paint on!
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu May 05, 2011 5:28 pm

James,

I believe you 100%. From what I've seen on the Druid Grove board, Christianity and NeoDrudism are not necessarily mutually exclusive, because NeoDruidism is so variable. In fact, there is a prominent sect with Druidism, Naturalistic Druidism, which is almost totally atheistic/agnostic. Their BBS is titled "Caer Abred."

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu May 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Ryan,

So true, druidry is very flexible. It is generally regarded as a philosophy of living and not a religion though religion is usually incorporated into it. But in my opinion druidry should be a spiritual path to be considered druidry. The only way I can consider an atheist a druid is if he considers the energy of life a spirit or soul. But that is my opinion only.

Have you checked out the NOD Circle Forums?
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Return to “Druidism”