Ancient graffitti– a druid’s tale (Stonehenge tree stories)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Re: Ancient graffitti– a druid’s tale (Stonehenge tree stori

Post by James Parton » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:35 am

" I doubt that the druid carving his name into the old tree was a sign of disrespect, but perhaps was meant more as a linkage between the two of them - the mixing of blood between blood brothers. " -Ed Frank

I said as a druid I would not deface a tree without good reason. But what you speak of here might have been a druid ritual between the druid and his chosen tree and that may be one of those reasonable exceptions. The " Blood Brothers " statement you made is a good one. If you mark the tree than it would have made a sacrifice for you since it has been given a physical wound that must heal. One might well, think of doing the same to yourself but that would be far more dangerous to you than the tree. A gift to the tree itself or nature may be given instead. Since the tree will carry the carving you have made into it for quite some time than you should do something for it that will have a lasting benefit to it. You might protect it or take care of it or join an activist group to protect trees and forests. There are ways that a person can give a lasting " gift of service " to the tree or nature itself that that tree may represent. Even doing " green" activities like recycling and even buying toilet paper made from recycled paper to save trees in the Canadian Boreal Forest are some ways of " service ". Even being involved in ENTS can be a productive service to the trees. We speak for them and a " graffiti " mark on a tree could be a visible " symbol " of the bond. Druidry teaches that if you take something from nature you should put something back in return.

Still, I would not recommend us to go carve our names as proof of dedication to our " entish " service to the trees. Even in a druid ritual I shy away from harming trees. And as Ed has stated, with beech it may be a death sentence due to beech bark disease.

Even in cases were we have just cause to use or harm a tree, say to build our homes, we should never forget and be thankful that we have trees in our lives and promote practices for sustainable forests so we will have them for the future. After all, trees are a renewable resource!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Druidism”